Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an Element with a black eye. It was in a little fender bender and needs the radiator replaced along with the A/C condenser. Just a question here as to which one to buy. Dealer wants ridiculous money. Advanced Auto Parts was $134 for condenser and $200 for the radiator. They have a bunch on ebay for under a $100. Would this scare you guys? I can upgrade to the 2 row radiator for $116 with free shipping off ebay as well. Seems better than the factory one row on paper. Suggestions? Opinions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is it getting damaged in the shipping. I would make sure they pack it well to keep it from getting damaged. Other then that I would not see any problems.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
2 core always !

Have you checked any local radiator shops ? They always have the best prices and willing to give advice in a pinch ?

RUBY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We only have one local shop and I think all they do is repair them. I am going to call one which is 45 min north of me today. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I guess 1 is better then none :( but still give them a try , you never know , don't forget about anti-freeze , put the honda brand back in as well , runs about $15 by me .

RUBY

PS , nice truck ,really nice truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ruby! Wait until it is done. I will try to get some pics posted. Heck, it isn't even here yet. Waiting for the freight company to drop it off.

In regards to radiators, here is the selection:

C&S Radiator (45 min north) $189.20
Midwest Auto Parts (local) $123
Advanced Auto- $200.99
Local Dealer- $343
Ebay- $71.99 shipped:mystery::mystery: I am guessing the Mystery Machine will have some investigating to do. Need to figure out how they are so much cheaper. Recycled tin foil? Chinese junk? Maybe no catch at all? Where's my Scoobie Snacks?

Similar on A/C Condensors-

C&S- $140.25
Midwest Auto- $128
Advanced Auto- $134
Dealer- $300+
Ebay- $107.16 shipped

I just don't think this is a category I am going to worry about saving $30-50 dollars on.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If youre looking for an aftermarket aluminum, Mishimoto seems to be the only brand making them specifically for the element. Not sure if its a drop in or if you have to modify stuff.

Whatever you do get, just be sure to flush it before you install it. You never know what junk is in those things.

Also, I dont see the big deal about "honda brand" Anti-freeze. The thought that somehow because its the factory AF makes it somehow better just seems silly to me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The theory is that the Honda antifreeze is formulated to prevent corrosion of aluminum alloy engine components. As to whether other brands have the same properties, who knows?
Yea... i dont buy it...

Prestone (available everywhere)

(from the prestone website)
Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts