Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've done some searching through the archives and I believe that my radio's poor reception is from a short. I will have crystal clear reception (1/2 mile from the station) and then all the sudden I will have static. When I power off the head unit and turn it right back on I have clear reception again. This solution was working for awhile but now I get static within seconds of turning the power back on.

My question is (and I didn't see any previous posts on this) where would the short be at? I have the service manual but I'm not sure where to start. Suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
first off do you have an aftermarket radio or factory? if it is aftermarket it is possible that the antenna amp is pulling too much current from the aftermarket radio's antenna turn on lead. rare, but possible. if you have the factory radio chances point to radio tuner breakdown. pop the radio out but leave it plugged in. locate the yellow/green wire in pin 1 of the main radio harness (blue plug). this wire should mimmick the am/fm of the trcuk radio being turned on. radio on, fm playing = has power, radio off = no power, cd or aux on = no power. if this is functioning properly then you probably have a tuner that is going bad in the radio

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first off do you have an aftermarket radio or factory? if it is aftermarket it is possible that the antenna amp is pulling too much current from the aftermarket radio's antenna turn on lead.
It is a factory unit and I haven't made it changes to it. I'll pull out the radio this weekend and check it out. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts