Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search function and found a posting about the older railriders from Yakima. Sadly nobody every answered his question so I am reposting. Are the older yakima locking railriders the same as the current control towers? They look very similar. I know I still need landing pad #9 but they look like they both lock in to the pad. Theres a seller on CL here with a full set of locking railriders for very cheap. SHould I just buy some landing pads and see if the railriders lock into them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they are not the same.

Some people think that the Honda Element and the Nissan Cube look very similar also.;-)
Ok. The darn picture looks soooo similar. And that Cube thing is an insult to toasters everywhere. A teacher colleague of mine has the Cube and she has the nerve to park it next to my E.:mad:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
One or more of the Landingpads (e.g. #1, #4) may allow you to use Control Towers on the same tracks/rails that the Railriders work on. To verify that you'd have to look at the installation instructions, and possibly the parts at a store.

It might also be possible to mount short lengths of rail on the factory mounting points of the Element, and attach Railriders to them. That, in effect, is what Thule does. In fact the Thule equivalent to the Element Landingpad might work with Railriders. However the Thule covers probably won't fit.

So if you can get a super deal on Railriders, and are willing to experiment, you might make them work. But the fit and looks probably won't be great.

The difference is that Railriders have bolts (or cams?) that lock into tracks or rails on the car, typically kind you see on vans, that allow the cross bars to slide forward and back. Control Towers have a pair of horizontal pins, that latch into holes in the Landingpad. The Landingpad 9 in turn is bolted to the factory mounting points on the E. The upper part that holds the cross bar is similar, but the base of the RR and CT are totally different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts