Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
top of dash near the window, getting worse every day. makes noise when hitting any type of bump, or pothole

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got a simmilar rattle that makes iteslf know when driving on slightly less than perfectly maintained roads. I'm working on a more elegant solution, but for now, I folded up a napkin and stuffed it between the windshield and the dash. Works pretty well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know a lot of people have put out threads for this problem, but my rattle sounds like it's coming from the driver side vent. It's espcially noticible when you go over bumps or any uneven surface. It sounds like something is loose inside the dash?

·
Registered
155 Posts
On mine, the noise has steadily grown more frequent, and I've read loads of theories about loose tweeters, loose a pillar covers, even loose bits under the hood. Yesterday I slid a folded piece of duct tape between the dash-top and driver side A pillar, near the windscreen where the plastic dash top panel feels loosest, and the rattling almost stopped. In fact I hadn't realized just how intrusive the rattling had become until without it I could hear everything else!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
bselement, let me know what they find. My rattle moves from the passenger side of the dash one day to the driver's side the next! :shock:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Burnt-o I would strongly suspect you got something in your airduct. That tube runs to both sides of the dash. When your rattle goes to the pax side, try taking off the dash garnish and fish around in the air duct.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It would seem that the windshield issue is due to an uneven flange that causes the glass to rub against the panel... maybe that's what people are hearing?

Drew

·
Registered
155 Posts
[quote:7ea8e2f924="Drew"]It would seem that the windshield issue is due to an uneven flange that causes the glass to rub against the panel... maybe that's what people are hearing?

Drew[/quote:7ea8e2f924]

Doesn't seem to be this in my case - the duct tape inserted between the pillar and dash-top wouldn't have made any difference if it was. But I recall it being mentioned a couple of times as a possible, and it would make for a neat solution if dealing with the rattle cured with windshiled issue too!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I brought up the rattling to my dealership and they showed me the tsb on the winshield and said this is the problem and are fixing it now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I "thought" that I had a rattle, but it turns out I was a complete retard, and it was the crap I had in the ceiling storage area, right above teh rearview mirror. I forgot what I had in there, but it made a rattle every time I hit a bump, and since I always have my stereo up, I wasn't able to hone in on where it was coming from.

Maybe stupid, but make sure that's not what's rattling for you... :shock:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have this strange rattle/tick...I have only heard it a few times, and oddly enough only when driving by a police car with a radar gun in use.....at first we didn't put the two together, but on a 5 1/2 hour car trip we picked up on it...so it must some how be electrically connected or just an erie coinsidence?!?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Over the weekend I started to notice a sqeaking coming from the drivers side dash. If it persists thru the week I will take it in to the dealer. Will let everyone know if they find anything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here's a quick temporary repair for a squeaking dash. Just sprinkle any kind of talcum powder (baby powder works fine) in the dash seams and wipe away the excess. The powder acts a lubricant thus stopping the squeak temporarily. makes your car smell clean baby fresh also!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had my Element since late April. I have an annoying "rattle" coming from the dashboard when driving at freeway speeds over pavement irregularities - every concrete pad that doesn't match the next. It is so loud that I can hear it over the radio or CD. This is so annoying that I took it back to my dealer to complain. The dealer had the car for two days last week, the first day "we couldn't hear the same problem" so they did nothing. I insisted that there is a noise so they kept it another day and said they put some foam insulation between some plastic panels in the dash. This didn't work, rattle sound was still there a couple of days later when I took the freeway again. I had showed the dealer that by placing my hand and pressing slightly on the dash at the left forward corner, the sound disappears. Well the E is back at the dealer today for them to address this noise issue. I will let you know what they did and if they were successful. There only comment so far has been "there is a lot of plastic in the dash, more than other Hondas" (I find that pretty hard to believe, most of the cars these days have a lot of plastic in the dash and everywhere else you look).

Anyone else have this problem with their E? Was it solved? What was done?

Like my E, but disappointed with this noise issue.
Thanks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
same noise , same place left side of dash, place your hand and it disapears, or after the car warms up.

haven't check it out with the dealer yet.

let me know how it turns out...

i know there was a thread on rattles on the poll topic... seams this problem is not unique.

BMOblue

·
Registered
261 Posts
i had the same rattle and wedged a piece of plastic (designed to level tables) between the seem between the dash and the a pillar and the rattle has gone away on my E. i figure that my solution is the least invasive (and least dangerous) and the piece of plastic is so small that it doesn't even bother me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I finally got my E back Friday after work. I had left it with my dealer
Tuesday evening - they had it for 3 full days. Here is the story:

Wednesday: said they could hear the problem, didn't do anything. I went to the dealer, they apologized and offerred me a loaner - so I ended up driving a Hybrid Civic. The service writer casually mentioned that he would be driving it home that evening to see if he could replicate the rattle - I asked how far that was round trip, he said about 55 miles - I said "I don't think so" - and that was that.

Thursday, they said they had (finally) replicated the sound, but weren't sure if they had fixed it and wanted to mention that they might have to remove the windshield to get to the spot they felt the noise was coming from! They were going to order a replacement windshield just in case mine was damaged in the process and that the replacement wouldn't be in until next Tuesday - and maybe I could just leave the E with them until then? I said no, I would take it home. They said that since they weren't sure it was fixed they wanted to drive it in the morning and check it out.

Friday AM, after driving the E some more they said it wasn't making the rattle any longer and that I could pick it up, which I did at the end of the day - turning in the Civic Hybrid. Here is what they told me:
- they had pulled the instrument cluster and the left A pillar cover, not the top dash panel (apparently held in place by the windshield).
- they put in a piece of foam insullation between the bottom edge of that dash panel and a metal cross member - which I think a firewall support member. The foam piece was 1/2 to 3/4" thick. They noted that the dash could move against this metal section and felt it was the cause of the rattle - which came at 70 mph, which is about 3500 rpm on my 5 spd 2wd E.
- they said they have reported all of this to Honda and felt that if Honda received a few more reports that they would send out a service bulletin - we'll see.

Conclusion:
- I have to give the dealer an A for persistence and hopefully for fixing this really annoying rattle. I also get an A for patience!
- The dealer gets a D for giving me timely calls (I was calling them to find out what was going on), the length of time they had the E (it was in the prior week for two days for the same problem - so they had it a total of 5 full days), for stupid comments like: "...and I'll be driving it home tonight" and "...we may have to remove the windshield..." and for spending more time trying to replicate the problem that I described to them on day 1, than it took repair the problem.
- The dealer didn't give me a copy of the repair order when I left yesterday, but promised to mail it to me. While I'm not sure, i think they put close to 100 miles driving my E around to replicate the rattle - I'll see what their repair order says the mileage was when I dropped it off when I finally get it.
- The dealer will get an honest "customer satisfaction" report - if I ever get one to complete on all of this.

...so if anyone else has this issue, give your dealer a few clues and maybe your E won't be in the shop anywhere near as long as mine. I am still listening for the rattle to reoccur, I told the dealer I would report back to them next week on whether they have really fixed it.

...heavy sigh!!!! The Blue Box is Back!

1 - 20 of 395 Posts