Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm stopped and the car is in gear, after some time the resonance from the motor builds up in the cabin and something begins to make a loud buzzing, rattling, vibrating noise until the resonance is purged and the process begins again.

I'm fairly certain this is NOT sway bar links. The links have been changed, it's not directly related to bumpy roads, and it sounds like plastic trim buzzing.

Any suggestions on where to start looking? I would appreciate stories from anyone with a similar experience who has found a culprit. I imagine this is going to be a fairly tedious search.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I'm stopped and the car is in gear, after some time the resonance from the motor builds up in the cabin and something begins to make a loud buzzing, rattling, vibrating noise until the resonance is purged and the process begins again.

I'm fairly certain this is NOT sway bar links. The links have been changed, it's not directly related to bumpy roads, and it sounds like plastic trim buzzing.

Any suggestions on where to start looking? I would appreciate stories from anyone with a similar experience who has found a culprit. I imagine this is going to be a fairly tedious search.
I would check the heat shielding underneath your E between the exhaust and floor pan. That thin metal is mounted with an air gap both above and below it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you checked your motor mounts? My brother's element had this got awful vibration when making hard turns at slow speeds and it was bad motor mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked your motor mounts? My brother's element had this got awful vibration when making hard turns at slow speeds and it was bad motor mounts.
The mounts were replaced before I bought it (service records). I imagine they're somewhat worn causing the vibration in the first place but I'm gonna try to solve it by dampening/fastening whatever is moving

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone else dealing with this problem, I may have found a solution: The plastic trim on the inside of the rear hatch periodically comes unpinned one side at a time. When I snap it back in the rattling stops until closing it too hard knocks it lose again.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
589 Posts
For anyone else dealing with this problem, I may have found a solution: The plastic trim on the inside of the rear hatch periodically comes unpinned one side at a time. When I snap it back in the rattling stops until closing it too hard knocks it lose again.
I've used 3M molding tape (automotive doublestick) to stop trim rattles on my old caravans where trim is brittle and clips break making irritating rattles. Haven't gotten there on the E yet. Expensive but a little goes a long way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts