Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I have searched the "Interior" area to see if I can find a post. The most recent concerning my topic was 2003. I'm assuming a couple things may have changed since then.

I have a rattle coming from my dash, and it appears to come from where the dash meets the defroster vent. It's an '07 SC. I can turn the music up and that helps, but it's not always best for conversations. I hope someone has a fix that's not too technical - and thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unfortunately, not much has changed with the dash design. Mine is an '05 and I was about to drive it off a cliff. Luckily, my OCD kicked in and I have squashed most of the rattles.

I removed the instrument cluster and balled my fist up and used it to lightly pound the flat part of the dash to locate to problem spots. As far as I can tell, it has something to do with the slight gap between the framing of the dash and the actual layover.

It is kind of hard to explain, but I jammed some random objects up under the dash to the point that you can actually see them through the vents if you stand outside and look in the windshield. (Its actually an old fly swatter with a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around the end. I cut the fly swatter part off.)

That formed a sort of wedge to keep the flat, top portion of the dash from bouncing onto the framing when you hit bumps.

The next step is to cut long strips of black felt (1 ft) and make them a few inches wide so you can roll them up into little logs. Then jam them in between the windshield and the dash. Use a long screwdriver to wedge them tighter if you like.

I know this all sounds kind of weird but it worked and I have few to zero rattles now. It will also prevent you from looking insane when you're trying to explain to the Honda people what is going on. I'm convinced they know about major rattles (the dash has always been an issue) and would rather not get involved.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 09 SC. On smooth blacktops I hear nothing but on bad roads I hear a thump everytime I drive over cracks and joints. It comes from where dash and windshield meet. Thank god I always have my music thumping or I'd go insane.:D

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
If I push on the silver trim that surrounds the stereo and heater controls I can make the rattle go away.
I pulled that trim piece off and lined the seam with single sided sticky foam tape. Still rattles. Grrrr.

I'm so close to setting off an entire can of expand-o foam under the dash it's not even funny.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My 03' has over 116,000 on the odometer and everything rattles and squeaks, even more so when it is cold, and my remedy is Sirius octane or alt nation at subjective volume. :twisted:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I recently bought my first E (Nov. 7th) and had the dash noise over the "right kind" of bumps. I could duplicate it by lightly pounding on the dashboard and noticed the rattle stopped when I pushed into the corner of the dash where it meets the windshield and the A pillar. When I let go the dash would spring up a bit and the noise would come back. So, I cut a couple of square 1" x 1" pieces of pipe insulation and headed out to the garage. I pushed down on the corner of the dash again and stuffed the pipe insulation in there to keep the dash from springing up again. I put a piece of insulation in each corner and the noise went away. I stuffed it far enough in where you can barely see it. We still have bumpy icy roads and the cold weather tends to increase rattles anyway but the spongy pipe insulation material still works so far. It also blends in as it's a dark grayish/black color.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a rattle in my 2010 as well. Sounds like its coming from the left center of the dash up by the windshield. It happens when the car is cold but not when the car has been sitting in the sun all afternoon. In the winter the noise goes away after 15 minutes of using the defroster. In the summer, I can get the noise to some what re-occur when the car is warm after using the AC for quite a while. I can make the noise go away by pressing down on the dash toward the front up by the defroster vents.

The local Honda dealer has been little to no help. They can't either hear the noise or when they do, they can't fix it.

This is a new car with less than 5000 miles on it. It should not be making these noises.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I fixed this before getting deployed. I ended up going to Home Depot and got a 6' chunk of that black foam pipe insulation. You can usually find it by the water heaters, or just ask. The stuff I got had a wall thickness of 1/2" or so. I ended up cutting a strip about 1/2" wide out of the insulation, so I ended up with a 6' long 1/2"x1/2" square foam strip. I then shoved that strip down between the dash and the windshield right by the defroster vent. Tadaaa!!! No more rattle. And since the stuff is black, it blends in pretty well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I fixed this before getting deployed. I ended up going to Home Depot and got a 6' chunk of that black foam pipe insulation. You can usually find it by the water heaters, or just ask. The stuff I got had a wall thickness of 1/2" or so. I ended up cutting a strip about 1/2" wide out of the insulation, so I ended up with a 6' long 1/2"x1/2" square foam strip. I then shoved that strip down between the dash and the windshield right by the defroster vent. Tadaaa!!! No more rattle. And since the stuff is black, it blends in pretty well.
any pics? im trying to fix my damn dash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts