Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so no jabs about the mileage here. I have replaced sway bar links and bushings, control arms, struts, pretty much everything in the rear end. I have developed a very bad rattle and cannot find where it’s coming from to save my life. It sounds like something is loose. I have had it up on a lift and put a crowbar in everywhere and cannot locate or duplicate the rattle.

Any ideas of what else I could check? I got someone else to drive the vehicle and rode in the back. It sounds like it’s coming from just behind the struts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OK so no jabs about the mileage here. I have replaced sway bar links and bushings, control arms, struts, pretty much everything in the rear end. I have developed a very bad rattle and cannot find where it’s coming from to save my life. It sounds like something is loose. I have had it up on a lift and put a crowbar in everywhere and cannot locate or duplicate the rattle.

Any ideas of what else I could check? I got someone else to drive the vehicle and rode in the back. It sounds like it’s coming from just behind the struts.
Automatic or manual transmission? If manual, the differential damper assembly is a possibility.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well the rear diff damper is there in both the manual and automatic AWD versions, right? I replaced the rear diff damper on my 2008, it was completely useless as it was entirely rusted out and was just banging around back there doing nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. It’s an automatic. I played around with that but maybe I couldn’t duplicate driv conditions. Any advice on swapping that part out? Part number and where to buy?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok. It’s an automatic. I played around with that but maybe I couldn’t duplicate driv conditions. Any advice on swapping that part out? Part number and where to buy?
Rear dif damper is only present on manual transmission Es. Good luck with the quest for the holy noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You probably already looked, but just in case. Did you check the strut mounts when you replaced the struts? My wife's E has 400k on it and those bushings went bad on it..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Heat shields can sometime make a rattling noise, but are hard to diagnose because they usually appear to have clearance when the car is stationary. My son's Subaru had a persistent rattle that turned out to be a heat shield surrounding the muffler. I bent it back and the rattle went away.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
OK so no jabs about the mileage here.
Why would we send jabs about the mileage??!! I think most of us would cheer you on and say CONGRATULATIONS!! (y):D
Good luck on finding, and repairing, your noise. We all know they can be extremely annoying....:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where does it FEEL like it's coming from? Is this only occurring when you're driving? Can you hear it externally when the car is idling?

·
Registered
2 Posts

No. That’s incredible!!! I know if you can’t find anything on the outside, do you think it could be the diff going bad (awd?). I’m blown away at the mileage. Have you reported this to Honda? I’m sure they’d be happy to know of one of their vehicles hitting those numbers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

No jabs from me. My 2003 has 205,000 and it’s a good car. I was tracking down undercarriage noises and replaced everything (bushings, axles w joints, tiered ends, total exhaust, even most brake components), my mistake was I used USED struts and there was a bearing plate on the top of the strut that was making the last bit of noise. I address that and the sound finally went away.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Half a million miles!!! Wow! 🙇‍♂️ I had a similar problem as aschloesser except that the rubber bushing on the strut mount had torn/separated which caused a whole lot of noise when driving over the tiniest bumps. I haven't replaced my rear struts so I don't know if a similar problem could exist on those.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Half a million miles!!! Wow! 🙇‍♂️ I had a similar problem as aschloesser except that the rubber bushing on the strut mount had torn/separated which caused a whole lot of noise when driving over the tiniest bumps. I haven't replaced my rear struts so I don't know if a similar problem could exist on those.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had a rattle and it was the rubber bushings rear suspension. There is a youtube video on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts