Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is making a weird rattling noise while driving. This issue started this morning on a long-ish drive back from visiting parents.

The sound can be heard while driving at most speeds but is most noticeable while idling in drive at a stop light or parking space as depicted in the video. the sound goes away at around 7 seconds when I shift into park, at which point it makes the usual idling noises.

Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can try tomorrow but it only happens when I'm sitting on the brake in drive after driving for a couple minutes so I'm not sure how I'd record that by myself.

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,774 Posts
Find a helper to either sit on the brake or record the sound. Or get some big chocks, yank up hard on the parking brake, and jam an appropriately sized 2x4 on the brake pedal. Or park it with the front end against a wall to keep it from rolling away and jam something on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i stopped the car today, the oil level lamp was lit, i filled it up, left the engine running for a minute but the rattling didn't stop. Maybe i should have left the engine run a little more? It's 2:20 am here, so not much i can do right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what the engine sounds like on the outside with the inside sounding like the first video.
It seems to happen whether the AC is on or not but only happens after driving at highway speeds.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds a little like the idler pully but its hard to tell. Valves are a little rattly.
First thing I figured out on elements is thats its hard as H... to tell where any noise is coming from. Every noise just travels through the body

·
Registered
935 Posts
It could be your tensioner. Is the AC on when it rattles?
funny you say that. I replaced my tensioner yesterday. Saw it bouncing all over the place after an oil change.

·
Registered
346 Posts
FYI, the tensioner bearing is a very common size and is easy to get, if you opt to replace just that part while waiting for a complete assembly

·
Registered
08 EX Atomic Blue
18 Posts
My first culprit for these rattles that seem engine related is to check the exhaust system for any heat shielding or hangers that are loose/broken. That will correlate with engine usage but can also happen while idling. It’s pretty obnoxious and scary sounding, but usually a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
200 Posts
When i stopped the car today, the oil level lamp was lit, i filled it up, left the engine running for a minute but the rattling didn't stop. Maybe i should have left the engine run a little more? It's 2:20 am here, so not much i can do right now.
Since your posting us completely unrelated to this thread, perhaps you might think about posting this in a new thread?

If the circumstances you've related are true, a new engine may be on the list of solutions to your problem.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It turned out to be a rattle in the exhaust related to a catalytic converter cage I put on a couple months ago
The easy/first fix for this is to replace the exhaust hanger rubber donuts. This will help keep your exhaust from moving as much so it doesn't rattle on the cage. I had to do this on both mine and my wife's Elements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts