Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been totally unsuccessful at getting any reasonable, effective answer from Honda as to how to treat these panels on the Element. There is NOTHING about them in the owners manual, or the official Honda Owners website. My dealer gave me the following advice(which is I took as a joke):

(Maroone Honda, Hollywood, Florida advised):

"I was told to take care of it like a plastic interior part, I would probably use pledge????"

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:2494aec7c8="Hank"]

(Maroone Honda, Hollywood, Florida advised):

"I was told to take care of it like a plastic interior part, I would probably use pledge????"[/quote:2494aec7c8]

Oh Jesus wept! How completely stupid. Pledge?!?!?!?

As Roger Rabbit would say "What a maroon!!!!" :lol:

From what I've read and heard, a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant, or another called, uh, let's see, Zymol or something like that, would work to protect the panels from UV rays causing fading, and from dirt, grime, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They have to be covered under the warranty...i understand your worry, when i buy mine i will worry about it...thats for sure

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used Maquires Vinyl and Rubber Protectorant. It worked fine. Just make sure you spread it on evenly during a day that is not too hot. It does a great job. I used it inside too. It seems to remove small scratches. Another good product is Mothers.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Mason

·
Registered
21 Posts
ANyone having any discoloration on the the gray panels??? I noticed the two roof panels have a lighter lines running verticle on both sides.. almost like something ran down from the roof. But they dont seem to want to clean up.
Frank

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several other manufacturers (GM, Nissan, etc.) that have vehicles with composite panels like the "E"'s . It might be practical and helpful to ask what THEY recommend for them (since Honda is no help at all). :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hellcat - As far as interior protection only is concerned, Lemon Pledge is probably one of the best protectants for your dash or doorskins (at one time it was the best). There is some ingredient in it that makes it highly ozone resistant (ozone causes plastics to give up their plasticizers, thus making them brittle). For exterior use, i would not recommend it. The person who i got this information from (a world renown corrosion engineer) made no mention of using it on the outside. Materials Engineering 101 class over.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does it have to be lemon? Does it have to be the Pledge brand? I want all the details! :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually there is no "lemon" in lemon pledge (at least according to the engineer). Someone asked if "plain pledge" could be used. His reply was that he had only tested "Lemon pledge". During the 80's "Armour All" was getting a nasty reputation as a "car interior killer". I think that is why there are so many interior protectants out there now. Even though i still use lemon pledge occasionally (especially on old cars), I now use Auto Glym interior protectant on my dash, doorskins and plastic panels. There have been some really good advances in interior protectants and quite possibly some of them might be as good or even better than lemon pledge. I would highly recommend experimenting and see what works best for you and the climate you live in. One word of caution, I would still avoid all "Armour All" products.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So my Endust should work as well? I did buy some 303 protectant yesterday. Can't wait to try it, but I could use a little Endust in between. My E gets pretty dusty.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dust is my second reason (behind protection) for using Auto Glym. I've been to Ohio many times and it doesn't get as dusty there as it does here (probably because of our relentless winds). Auto Glym has an additive to resist dust and thus far it does an admirable job doing it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I live in the middle of a field on a gravel road, so dust is my buddy. Where did you buy that product?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tony, is this for the inside, too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts