Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay
So I have all the parts ordered and already own several sets of thule rails - I'm most likely going to use the longer set of rails so I can mount my tandem bicycle rack over the tower and mount the kayak outrigger on the other side. Has anyone used the kayak outrigger mounting assist - it seemed like a good deal instead of buying the "hullavator" system. Also I'm getting the running boards installed this weekend to allow me to load the bikes and kayaks easier do they really help or not?
Thanks
new to me 2008 kermit green element

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thule Outrigger or DIY Load Bar

Agree that going with longer load bars that the fit tool specs is a good choice.

I used a Thule Outrigger on the E for a while, but moved it to my Ford van after making a load bar => http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=685530&postcount=1. I found that solo loading from the rear is easier than the side for the relatively lower roof of the E, while the opposite is true for the higher roof of the van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree that going with longer load bars that the fit tool specs is a good choice.

I used a Thule Outrigger on the E for a while, but moved it to my Ford van after making a load bar => http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=685530&postcount=1. I found that solo loading from the rear is easier than the side for the relatively lower roof of the E, while the opposite is true for the higher roof of the van.
Hey, did you like the Outrigger?
(This is my first non-sedan for carrying my boats...)

I have the 58" Thule load bars and I was was going to tip-up the front of my Perception Acadia... onto the bars then into the Hull-a-Ports... But do you think the Outrigger is a better idea?

Do you get better stabilization?

Joe

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did you like the Outrigger?

They work as they should. I still use one on the van for the canoe and the other one on my utility trailer with the Hull-a-ports. On the E, I prefer rear and saddles rather than the Outrigger side loading and Hull-a-ports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't mind sliding it up the back of your E?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw this at Paddlefest in New Jersey this year...
A lot of the people in my paddle club love it..
I think I am going to get one next year.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thule 854 Water Slide Mat

My issues with the Thule Water Slide Mat is that it is only 2 feet wide, meaning if you are loading / unloading two kayaks you need to reposition it, and most of us would need to stand on a ladder / stool to attach it to your E.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of the people I know who use them agree - it could be wider.

BUT - you don't have to strap it down, as the bottom side grips to the surface of the vehicle allowing you to slide the boat right up...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts