Honda Element Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We now have verified, from two installations, that the Metra 71-7992 pigtails will work. They have a couple of raised tabs that need to be filed or cut off, and they don't click into the X connector nicely the way the Honda pigtail does, but they do work.

IIRC the 71-7992 has a couple of different size pigtails. It's the smaller ones that work on the X connector.
the 7992 terminals are all one size.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did this mod over Thanksgiving weekend using terminals provided by Yoda. Couldn't have been easier with the instructions and the terminals. Should have soldered the wires to the X terminal pieces beforehand, soldering under the dash in the footwell wasn't fun...poor planning on my part. Anyway, one of the best mods I have done to date on the car. Works as advertised and looks totally factory.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank You

For the most comprehensive write up.

I did mine this past Friday after work.
I recall some disappointment when I first looked at the car and realized that was no intermittent wiper option - it's a nice 5-year birthday present to my E.
The hardest part was finding a position in the driver's footwell to reach in and work on the X connector as well as routing the cable. In the end, I adopted a position like that of a high-jumper doing a Fosbury Flop over the driver side door sill.

I went with:
Honda Pilot wiper switch
Honda p/n 04320-SP0-A00 for switch connector
Option d (Honda p/n 07JAZ-001360A.) for x connector
20-gauge wire
and
crimp-style butt connector with heat shrink

It took about 90 minutes and it includes time I took to vacuum the dust off from the exposed areas while I had steering column and under dash fuse box covers.

Unfortunately, no rain forecast until later this week. I hope it rains in varying intensity :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Unfortunately, no rain forecast until later this week. I hope it rains in varying intensity :)
The forecast calls for rain throughout the week.

It was a mix of steady rain/mist/drizzle all day today and I got to use all the settings. On the fastest intermittent settings, I see that the wipers get working once the car begins to travel above the set mph.

The fastest intermittent setting seems to be no different than the medium wiper speed.

Overall, a mod well-worth the effort - one of those things that makes one think "why didn't I do it sooner?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need pigtails

My Honda dealer is less than helpful. Says I should not be doing this to my E. Does not have any pigtails or a connecter kit. Can't help in anyway!
Does anyone have any of these connecters left. I need, Two pigtails for the switch connector and Two pigtails for the X connector at the back of the under-dash fuse box. I have read this entire thread and am wondering if someone still has some. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Honda dealer is less than helpful. Says I should not be doing this to my E. Does not have any pigtails or a connecter kit. Can't help in anyway!
Does anyone have any of these connecters left. I need, Two pigtails for the switch connector and Two pigtails for the X connector at the back of the under-dash fuse box. I have read this entire thread and am wondering if someone still has some. Thanks in advance.
Dealers think they know everything :roll:
I'm pretty sure I have several X-connector pins left (part (d) in the first page of this thread), you crimp a wire onto the pins and snap them into the X-connector. For the switch connector, I think I only have one pigtail left. Somehow I ended up with an extra.

PM me your email and I'll check what I've got.
Geoff

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Pbd57.

As you may have seen in the first post, the switch connector pigtails are available from Honda (p/n 04320-SP0-A00 or 04320-SP0-B00). I can understand how you might not want to buy a whole package of them, but if no one has any spares, they're available and not very expensive. And of course the terminals (which need to be crimped to a wire) are also available, Honda p/n 07JAZ-001360A.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome, Pbd57.

As you may have seen in the first post, the switch connector pigtails are available from Honda (p/n 04320-SP0-A00 or 04320-SP0-B00). I can understand how you might not want to buy a whole package of them, but if no one has any spares, they're available and not very expensive. And of course the terminals (which need to be crimped to a wire) are also available, Honda p/n 07JAZ-001360A.
I wish it was that easy, but the dealer close to me says he is unable to get any pig tails for the mod . I told him I knew they were available in a larger package and would buy the entire package (again giving him the honda part numbers). He again said he was not able to get them. You can only fight for so long, then it’s best to just walk away.

·
14,898 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been stalled on doing this mod for a while now. I have everything I need except an X connector harness (the plastic part the terminals/pigtails are inserted into). Does anyone know where I can get one of these parts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been stalled on doing this mod for a while now. I have everything I need except an X connector harness (the plastic part the terminals/pigtails are inserted into). Does anyone know where I can get one of these parts?
The X-connector is the plastic housing that the terminals are inserted into. Its plugged into your fusebox. You just need the wire terminals. Unless there's more to the story for your car...

·
Registered
405 Posts
The X-connector is the plastic housing that the terminals are inserted into. Its plugged into your fusebox. You just need the wire terminals. Unless there's more to the story for your car...
I think I know where kawika is coming from. I had to re-read the original post a few times over to get the message that it wasn't the X-connector that I needed, but two wires and terminal ends for each wire end. What led me astray was the description of items needed. Many choices for parts are good, but it seemed like I would need more than I do. After re-reading the whole thread and returning back to the original post, it makes perfect sense now. I have the parts coming from Bernardi along with SC steering wheel trim pieces soon. I also plan on completing the all-doors-open-with-one-click mod at the same time. That way, I only have to punish myself under the dash one time!:twisted:

·
14,898 Posts
You don't need a new X connector plug. You just add two pigtails (aka connector-plus-wire) to empty spots in the existing plug.

From post #1:

8) Note the orientation of the terminals inside the X connector, and add pigtails to empty slots #3 and #4 (already wired in photo below).

BH241

·
Registered
18 Posts
I felt around on the UDFB this morning but I couldn't tell if what I was feeling was an empty slot of if it had something in it. Car is in the garage today and I don't plan on moving it out in the rain to poke around more (not enough room to get under the dash).

I have these parts:
* Wiper Switch
* terminals (04320-SP0-A00 and 07JAZ-001360A) with pigtail wires already crimped

So it looks like all I really need now is a little wire (18 gauge?) to connect the pigtails on both ends. It shouldn't take more than about 12 inches worth of wire to make this connection, should it?

Thanks for all the responses. I can do lots of things mechanical but electrical is a big black hole.

·
Registered
65 Posts
...So it looks like all I really need now is a little wire (18 gauge?) to connect the pigtails on both ends. It shouldn't take more than about 12 inches worth of wire to make this connection, should it?
12" might just make it...will need two lengths. Would be a good idea to snap the wires in the connectors and then see how much wire you need so you don't end up 1/2" too short :twisted:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would be a good idea to snap the wires in the connectors and then see how much wire you need so you don't end up 1/2" too short :twisted:
Oh, definitely. Two of the "pigtails" actually have about 3' of wire (it is paired wire, stripe/solid) so I'll measure and shorten the wires with a little bit of slack left in. I got each set of these from separate sources already crimped or I'd use a single wire instead of splicing them. And I don't have a crimper tool, anyway. So it seems like I have everything I need to do this mod. Will post back when I have it installed and working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Start with plenty of wire and trim for the final connections after the parts have has been reinstalled.
I also follow the "measure twice, cut once" philosophy. :)

161 - 180 of 218 Posts