Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a SLM 4WD EX.

I purchased it almost 2 months ago, on April 12, 2003.

Every time I fill up the tank I have been keeping track of my fuel mileage, here are the results:

(note: this is all with mixed driving, about 60% freeway, 40% city, a/c on very rarely, hard acceleration very rarely)

1st fill up:
4/18/03
228 (odo)
218.4 (trip)
11.836 gallons
=
18.45mpg

2nd fill up:
4/24/03
449 (odo)
221.7 (trip)
11.996 gallons
=
18.48mpg

3rd fill ip:
4/30/03
655 (odo)
205.1 (trip)
11.305 gallons
=
18.14mpg

4th fill up:
5/5/03
912 (odo)
256.9 (trip)
12.460 gallons
=
20.62mpg

5th fill up:
5/12/03
1123 (odo)
211.5 (trip)
11.401 gallons
=
18.55mpg

6th fill up:
5/16/03
1349 (odo)
226.2 (trip)
11.484 gallons
=
19.69mpg

7th fill up:
5/22/03
1582 (odo)
233.2 (trip)
12.542 gallons
=
18.59mpg

8th fill up:
5/28/03
1822 (odo)
246.7 (trip)
11.844 gallons
=
21.47mpg

9th fill up:
6/02/03
2062 (odo)
232.8 (trip)
12.152 gallons
=
19.16mpg

Overall Mileage over 9 fill ups:
19.24 mpg

I'm dissappointed in the mileage I'm getting from my E. I thought I would be stepping up from my 1991 Accord (in which I was getting at least 22 mpg, driven more aggressively than my E).

Has anyone else taken detailed fuel mileage logs?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I calculate my gas mileage on every tank, and I am consistently getting between 23-25 mpg (last 3 tanks: 23.6, 24.4. 23.5 mpg). I think I'm on my 8th or 9th tank now. The driving conditions have been mixed; some interstate, some town, some slow on my country road. I think I'm a fairly conservative driver, or at least I have been with my new E. Interstate speeds usually about 70-72 mph. Oh, and I've had the air conditioning on a good percent of the time I've been driving.

SOP EX AWD

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, I calculate my gas mileage too, and find that it is well below what I wanted it to be. Disappoints me, greatly.

Shaka.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finding that I am getting somewhere between 22 - 25. I did have one tank below the 20 mark but I believe that is because was I driving in a lot of wind and rain. Feels like the monsoon season here in the North East.

95% of my miles are on the highway driving right around 72 mph on cruise control. Drive to work is 105 miles round trip and seem to fill up every two and a half days of work. About 275 before I refill... never let it get to "E" because I never know when I may get stuck in traffic. Getting much better then my '01 Escape which was about 20-21 mpg.

Smyth

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I'm averaging between 21 and 24 mpg
I'm thrilled
I have a Jeep Wrangler with Header and Catback - 4" lift, 35" tires, etc etc
I'm getting twice the milage I was getting!
Now the Jeep is just a toy and not my daily driver

ORANGEE
:p :p :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bought mine on Feb. 28 and since then have pretty consistently gotten 23 to 24 mpg. Once or twice got only 22-point-something, and on a long trip once I got 25-point-something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm with ORANGEE. Always between 21-24. Haven't had the opportunity to take any long trips. Sure beats my 98 Lightning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my E since March 14 and have over 10,000 miles on it. Just took it to California from Charlotte, NC and will be making the trip back in about a week. I have averaged at right about 25 mpg on this trip. That made me very happy since I pay 1.29 for 91 octane in Charlotte, and here in Los Angeles its like 1.68 for 86 octane. Overall very happy with the mileage.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I seem to be getting around 260 miles to the tank myself and I have been filling up imediatly when the gas light comes on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting Topic!
One of the factors influencing our decision to buy has been the lousy mileage. It it the shape's wind resistance or what? We get better mileage than many of you are reporting on our Vette with 100 more HP that has technology thats 20 years old (Ok car is lighter..but its a bloody V8!) Honda claims to be very "clean"...but despite their excellent efforts with hybrids their cars line's overall mileage is still a bit disappointing.
We really like the overall Element concept and will probably buy for its flexible utility.....but wish it was a little more cost effective to maintain!

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
[quote:ad76bcf391="CorvetteArchives.com"]Interesting Topic!
One of the factors influencing our decision to buy has been the lousy mileage. It it the shape's wind resistance or what?
We really like the overall Element concept and will probably buy for its flexible utility.....but wish it was a little more cost effective to maintain![/quote:ad76bcf391]

Lousy mileage compared to what? The Element gets better mileage than many other small to midsize sport utilities. And I'm not sure why you'd say it's expensive to maintain; it's routine maintenance schedule is remarkably sparse. While it doesn't get the mileage of a Civic it's not a compact sedan (nor is it a 2-seater sports car). The Rav4 gets better mileage but it's smaller and not as versatile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very funny to compare a corvette to an element :roll:
Honda has the most efficiency engines on the market base on clean/fuel consumption and power 8)
Have you ever see a stock american production car (GM, ford or Chrysler)with an engine developping 120 HP per liter ? :shock:
Why Saturn want to use Honda V6 engine into his car ? Because, GM is not able to create an engine as clean as this 240 HP V6, only 3.0 liters... To produce this amount of HP, GM need a 3.8 liters with a compressor :shock:
Now, how many stuff can you carried into your Corvette ? :roll:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
More cost effective to maintain? This vehicle is designed to be very cost effective, how about 10,000 miles between oil changes
That's not cost effective? - what plant is Corvetteconcepts.com living on?
If you are getting over 22miles a gallon in your V8 Corvette you must be driving it like a grandma

ORANGEE
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep track of milage more or less. On it's "maiden voyage" from RI to VA.....all highway....best milage was 27mpg./ 23 about average.
I used to have a Civic....so this is definitely an adjustment but the hauling capacities of the E are worth it. we seem to have the two back seats out of the car more than in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote:d9df9fcbbb="ORANGEE"]More cost effective to maintain? This vehicle is designed to be very cost effective, how about 10,000 miles between oil changes
That's not cost effective? - what plant is Corvetteconcepts.com living on?
If you are getting over 22miles a gallon in your V8 Corvette you must be driving it like a grandma

ORANGEE
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:d9df9fcbbb]

Basicly I agee with alot you guys are saying.....very valid..BUT guess not explaining my point clearly enough
Staggie......right related to other SUV's.....but my point is more kinda being ticked off at Feds basicly.....lousy CAFE standards....arent pushing technological development the way it should. Its been 20 years since our Vette that had some intersting technology.....during deceleration fuel becomes delivery becomes leaner and computer corrects to retain decent driveability all with a computer that isnt even a Comodore 64 quality. Does this effect performance? Slightly, car has to bve tuned rather delicately or it will "chuggle" but 9 out of 10 drivers dont ven know the car does it! Quite frankly the big American SUV's market trend has poisoned Good companies like Honda who would have already adapted hybrid technology like in insight into entire line if it was more cost effective.....but consumers compare to the big American SUV's......and we all lose in cost of maintenance. "Poor" milage in Element is also alittle "boxier" than many suv's.....in reality its really an awesome looking VAN (not complaining just stating interpretation of its design)due to its height and wonder if making it a little less boxy in height and losing a slight bit of headroom would have affected the design and gained a little more mileage.

As for maintenace cost....wasnt addressing that aspect...Honda's are notoriously reliable.....its the fuel consumption aspect I was refering to.

Eric, I know kinda wacko comparison in every aspect......but was refering to the engine technology :) Ad to hauling stuiff I have greatewr flexabiulity with the Vette in EVERY aspect except for passengers. Grated the Element has alot of utility....but its also relative since its still less utility that a 4 banger pickup truck. I can also haul a heck of alot more stuff with a V8 than a little 4 banger even if I use the Element to its max capacity.I can haul a trailer/boat/RV full of with stuff behind the Vette and get the same milage although lose the passenger utility...so its a tradeoff. Ok it may not look totally cool........but it will work!

Orangee.........are you taliking about oil changes? EVERYBODY can get at least 10,00 miles out of Mobil 1 or comparable synthetic oil. I've changed out cars with 20,000 miles with Mobil 1 and it looks virtually as clean as when it went in........basicly all cars today from any manufacturer are same so dont think thats an issue. Ad to driving like a grandma.....that is a frequent misnomer regarding ignorance of well engineered performance cars. Let me educate any other non believers
Example mileage. I have onboard computer that lets me monitor all this info......so its not guessing!
Spinning wheels around isnt a true indication of the "REAL WORLD" mileage we're discussing here.... We're talking AVERAGE reasonable driving with similar performance aspects. Around town cruising the vette averages 18-20 MPG...thats with 100 more HP and a boatload more torque ....spin the wheels alittle at every light and that drops to 16MPG. But same thinng happens in any Element if you drive aggressively right? The town average seems to be pretty much the same between the 2 cars which is pretty sad considering! The element gets BLOWN away on the highway by the vette in mileage which is VERY disappointing! At a cruise of 65-75 MPH I've averaged as high as 32 MPH Highway...on a 140 mile trip through NJ,NY,CT....yes!! NO BS.!.(thats not "instant MPG"....just no traffic. If I average by the tank the way you guys are since you dont have computer I routinely get 26-29 MPG cruising at similar speeds to you guys. Why is it better? I think the factors are Drag Coefficient(thats why Honda coulda made E Less Boxy) and Rpm's..you guys burn one heckof alotta fuel trying to maintain speed up hill shifting gears and the like.....vette doesnt need to shift at all..
Dont get me wrong I really like the E and will probably get one for hauling kid around ...but I'm just making the technology comparison being disappointed that the E isnt a available as cool hybrid yet.......hey if Ford is gonna do it with escape (*...No doubt Honda will soon...I'd rather kick in extra $5,000 for that technology that spend it on duel power sunroof like somebody else here did!
:p

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
What I was getting @ was the people bitchen about the mileage they are getting. There is a federally mandated sticker on every vechile sold in the US that has the anticipated mileage you can expect to get in that vehicle.
So the mileage you are getting in your E is within what the sticker says. Case closed - you can visit the fed site @ www.fueleconomy.gov

as for the mileage on the 'Vette, I stand corrected - per the sticker on my granma's vette the 5.7 L automatic -Premium gas (not real economical) avg's are 18 city and 25 highway

ORANGEE
8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 4,000 miles on my 2WD EX. I have kept careful records of my mileage since my first tank of gas and I have never gotten more than 19.3 MPG regardless of driving conditions, which vary. The "E" was advertised to get slightly better mileage than this "23-26" was on the sticker. (Maybe that was downhill with a brisk tail wind)?
My dealer says it could be the gas (not). I am hoping that a trip to the service Dept. will make things better (and not worse). I was told that they would have to drive the car approx. 30 miles under "controlled conditions" to determine the "correct mileage". I am not exactly anxious to have some technician drive my car any distance, and I am disappointed that they don't trust my calculations! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hank, I would be very interested in what the service department's final discovery turns out to be. I have about 3000 miles on my E and the very best gas mileage I have gotten is 21mpg. But, on the average only getting about 19mpg. Sure would like to figure out a way to improve it. I am running a tank of premium in it right now to see if that has any effect at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Checking back in... after a few more tanks since my last post... last three tanks, 25.5 to 26.5 avg. Same driving conditions as before... all highway and about 72 MPH Cruise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, a trip to the dealer (service Dept.) to determine what (if anything) is causing my poor mileage (19-21 MPG) was seemingly uneventful...and a waste of time. They told me that everything "checked out OK". They looked into things like the injection system and the O2 sensors and fuel lines, air filter, etc. One service manager told me (jovially !) "that's about what you can expect from something with no aero-dynamics and a lot of weight". I was disheartened to say the least. Now I am wondering how Honda can advertise that this vehicle is rated for "21-27 MPG" on the window sticker??
I also wonder if the other "E" owners reporting higher mileage aren't calculating it incorrectly? The dealer told me that everyone is getting the same mileage from this engine in the "E" (19-21 MPG). And a 4x4 should get a bit less.
Meanwhile, I got the car home and went grocery shopping and the bottle of Pepsi I bought rolled out of the back door onto the pavement and EXPLODED.....all over my interior (of couorse!). I spent an hour trying to remove Pepsi from the dashboard and headliner, seats, carpets, etc.
Does anyone know a good exorcist? (LOL) :shock:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts