1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 ex AWD
Eibachs web listed 1.7 inches
Teins web listed 2.5 inches

Is this what is being seen in the real world? 2.5 seems like alot for just a spring. I am kinda leaning towards the Eibachs. Any opinions.

Thanks, Jamie

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I ran the Eibachs for about two years are found them to be quite excellent. Any springs that you put on your vehicle are going to continue to settle over the first 60 to 90 days, then the level of the drop will be permanent. The Eibachs were 1.7" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. After 90 days it was about a 1.9" drop in the front and the rear settled at just about 2.0". The drop was absolutely perfect! So if you start with a 2.5" drop to begin with, which is quite a bit, it's going to be even lower after your springs settle.

I later switched to the Tein Basic Coil Overs because they are adjustable. Here is a pic of my Element back when I had the Eibachs on it and should give you a good idea of what you're going to be looking at...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size are your wheels in that pic? That is a real good look and I have been fighting with the coilover idea also. I live in Wisconsin and this is my daily driver so I am not sure I want to spend the money on the coil overs and have them trashed by the Wisconsin winters & salt. How ever I do want this thing lowered and it looks like kyb will have struts soon for the front, so that may be better than the stocks when lowered. I drive about 25000 miles per year so some reliability is a concern.

Thanks, Jamie

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
What size are your wheels in that pic? That is a real good look and I have been fighting with the coilover idea also. I live in Wisconsin and this is my daily driver so I am not sure I want to spend the money on the coil overs and have them trashed by the Wisconsin winters & salt. How ever I do want this thing lowered and it looks like kyb will have struts soon for the front, so that may be better than the stocks when lowered. I drive about 25000 miles per year so some reliability is a concern.

Thanks, Jamie
They were the 18X7" Honda Element SC Wheels with 235X55X18" Goodyear RS-A tires. Between the miles I put on them and the miles that the guy I sold them to got, they were good for about 50K miles. Besides the Eibach Pro Springs ($250) I also had the Eibach Alignment Kit ($150), for rear wheel alignment, and the Ingalls Front Camber Bolts ($20 for the pair), for front end alignment, Front and Rear Alignment ($80). So you are basically looking at $500 to go the spring route, whereas the Tein Basic Coil Overs all by themselves are $1,000, plus the extras will put you at around $1,250.

The inherent drawback to springs will always be premature wear of the shocks and struts. Lowering springs are just 'shorter springs' and that's it! They accomplish exactly what you are looking for, 'they lower your vehicle.' But what happens is that your shocks and struts are still compressing as they should but they are no longer opening up all the way because of the shorter spring. This is why you will feel a stiffer ride after you put lowering springs on a vehicle. Which automatically makes the Eibach better than the Tein spring because it's not compressing the shock/strut as much as the Tein.

So, the bottom line here is that with the 25,000 miles per year that you drive, you're going to be looking at new shocks and struts in about two years. When I added up the cost of new shocks and struts every couple of years, that's when I made the decision to switch over to the Tein Basic Coil Overs, they come with shorter reinforced springs, their own shocks, and they are totally adjustable. I even have the heavy duty rears (an additional $300) and I can carry up to 987 lbs.. in the back seat and NEVER rub.

Chief

·
Registered
20 Posts
ex sc

what's wrong with using SC struts/springs on EX? Honda SC springs not good compared to other 3rd party springs? How about struts KYB, Blistein... compared to Honda?

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
what's wrong with using SC struts/springs on EX? Honda SC springs not good compared to other 3rd party springs? How about struts KYB, Blistein... compared to Honda?
Nothing if you're only looking for less than a quarter inch drop! When it's time to change your struts, you can choose any brand that turns you on.

Chief

1 - 10 of 10 Posts