1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left rear outside pad:

Left rear inside pad:

Left rear caliper pin (other similar):

Right rear looked almost exactly the same.

Maybe it's just clean living, or lots of highway miles, or downshifting a lot, but whatever, I'm real happy!

I threw some fresh grease on the pins for good measure, and will likely look at the fronts soon as well.

Thanks to all who posted photos and videos - the job was a snap!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have around 75000 on mine and it looks the same as yours and living in hilly country. Its got to be the manual trans!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well done. Thanks for the photos and keeping us in the loop.

Nice white balance, contrast, and depth of field on those photos. I'd be proud of those if I were you.

What is it that your tools are sitting on?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I replaced my fronts at 96k miles and rears at 100k miles of mostly highway driving. The pads were still about 1/8 inch thick, just slightly thinner than the steel backing plate. My braking ability had decreased, so I replaced them. My brakes felt much worse than my wife's '06 pilot. Now, with new pads and rotors, the E stopps great again.

By the way, the NAPA brake parts have a real good feel. I used their lifetime pads. They are some kind of goofy "dual friction material" pad that I don't understand, and I thought was a bunch of marketing hype. BUT, they work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keeping the Alabama replys going... I just changed mine out at 90,000 front and rear. Everything looked real good on mine too. It is from living harsh winter free and salt free. = rust free :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
im currently @ 107,000 on all original brake pads. imma change em out next week. but yo. 107K on factory pads is not terrible.

and that includes three round trips from NC to Vermont, as well as various 1000+mile road trips. its been in the nastiest snow, deep sand, mud, and the urban "asphalt" surface (har) of charlotte NC.

manual transmission for the win!!!!

:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kudos on the photos.

Sony DSCM1 set a 1 megapixel, with images enhanced and reduced in iPhoto.

As a coincidence, the very next day (last night) I went to use the camera and something is very wrong with the exposure control. All the still photos are very washed out. I've tried everything, including a hard reset, to no avail. Interestingly, it seems to work OK in the movie mode.

I just found out that a flat-rate repair on the unit is $171. Love the camera, but not sure that makes sense. That kind of money can buy a brand new camera with several years of technological advance.

Oh, and the "mat" I was using was just a piece of styrofoam I had lying around. I was working in a gravel driveway and it helped keep things clean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
03 Auto, mine at 86k

Had car since 49k.
This is my 2nd change to the fronts (had about 1/2 left).
The rears were original (honda emblem) and were down to a sliver.
Bought the least expensive (organics) from Schucks (auburn wa) @
$19 front & $21 rear. Always funny to see the Lifetime Warrantee with
the "excludes wear" disclaimer.

Had to suck out almost all the fluid in the container to compensate for the
new piston position(S). Used a big C clamp to squeeze the pistons back.
Reused all of the original pad shims (relubed).

I believe these new pads are dusting a light grey rather than the funky brick
red color. Sorry, can't remember the brand.
Note: first chance to use my pawn shop electric impact wrench for the lug
nuts. I still give a final hand tighten. Whole job was about an hour.

Brakes nice now. Dave

ps someone on here replaced their brake hose with "stainless". I may do this
when I replace the fluid sometime in the future. I did this on my sportbike and the difference is significant. May not be as noticible on a Element.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts