Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm new on here and from the last few weeks, I really love this site. It makes me proud to own a Honda, and be a part of this group.

Here goes.

I recently bought an 2005 Honda Element Ex all wheel drive, with 30,000 miles. Its been three weeks to be exact. Well after a few days, I noticed major brake dust on the rear wheels. I started to notice after driving for a an extended time or on the Highway, I started to hear a grinding metal sound. I read alot of post's about the rear differential making the weird sounds at around 30,000 so I went this past weekend and had the fluid changed. I was driving home and about 5 miles away from the house it starts again. Well I have started to focus more on the brakes. I'm thinking the rear calipers are freezing up or grinding on the rotors. This might be causing my problem. When I'm on the highway driving faster its causing more friction which is making them hotter. I have a 99 Prelude and I have never had brakes or calipers this hot. And with the front doing most of the braking I know something is seriously wrong.

I know there are alot of post about brakes but no one has really had a problem like this from what I have found. Does anyone have this problem also? If so how did you fix it. I was going to buy new calipers for the rear but I really dont feel like I should have to. I have had the E for 3 weeks. Its still under warranty. How could I make them fix this?

Any help would really be most helpful. This has almost got me where I'm worried sick.

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yes. Sounds like the pads are dragging on the rotor.

The most likely cause is a sticking caliper due to insufficant lubrication (the caliper needs to move back and forth to apply/release pressure on the pads against the rotor.

Another good posability is the caliper piston is not retracting easily inside the caliper body. This is usually due to contaminated fluid and/or corrosion.

Since you just got it, I recomend returning to the dealer you purchased it from and let them fix it.

If you (or someone else with a similar problem)wants to DIY, I sugest removing the caliper bodies, replacing the pads, re-lubrication the appropriate areas, and bleeding the brakes. Caliper replacement may not be necessary. Depending on how long it has gone on, rotor replacement is likely.

A check for pad condition and caliper lubrication should be done every 10,000 or every year. Most times, it is not done untill grinding noises are heard.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ApriliaGuy. This is kinda what I thought was the problem, it's just always better to see what others have had problems with. I have an appointment on Thursday to try to get this problem fixed. I just pray they don't try to pull off some we cant cover this. I have only owned the E for 16 days. I dont feel I should have to be pulling wheels off and going through this. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts