Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying my search didn't reveal a how-to on this (unless I just missed it, and then, my apologozes!), so I figured I do one.:D

(Mods-If this is the wrong place, please feel free to move it.)

After owning "Ellie" for 3 weeks, the better half decided to play demo-derby with an '04 Mustang.

Score: Damage to Mustang - $1200
Damage to "Ellie" - $35

Any damage is a bad thing, but when you back into the quarter panel of another car, and only come away w/ a $41 bill, well, life's good! Below was the only damage to our E:

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, but I don't know how to put all of this into one posting!:confused:

Anyhow, after pulling off the 7 push-clips along the bottom edge of the rear bumper cover, the hardest part is removing the 11 snap-in clips along the upper edge of the cover. Below is a picture of the inside of the bumper.

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After you get the snaps released (some I had to use a long handled flat-blade screwdriver to push, some I was able to reach by hand), just pull the old cover away. To install the new cover, it's simply a matter of pushing the upper edge of the cover into the openings first. Below is a pic of the openings.

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace the 7 push-clips along the bottom edge, and your done! That easy!

CAUTION: Be sure to wear safety glasses. You'd be amazed of how much "road junk" fell out of the cover as I was removing it.:-o

In case anybody was wondering, below is what the bumper looks like w/o the cover:

Attachments

· Registered
3,385 Posts
Nice writeup tangex. It has been discussed before, but I dont remember seeing pics.. I need to replace my bumper cover sometime-- after two years of city driving and parallel parking everyday, my bumper looks much worse than yours... :rolleyes: I hadnt seen pics before- thanks!:)

· Registered
3,268 Posts
Thank you for doing this!
I'm making this a sticky thread because is seems to be a fairly common occurrence and if owners can see just how easy it is to do the repair themselves then they'd have even more appreciation for the Element.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D Thanks! Not only was it easy as all get out, it was also cheap as can be! $35 for the cover, and $6 for the beer for afterwards!

· Registered
92 Posts
Thanks!

TangEX said:
:D Thanks! Not only was it easy as all get out, it was also cheap as can be! $35 for the cover, and $6 for the beer for afterwards!
I certainly appreciate the write-up and photos. I picked up my replacement bumper today and will do the swap out this weekend. It is a nice affordable repair.

· Registered
269 Posts
thank you! i'm swapping out my silver bumper covers and grille trim for black (dark grey) this week! i've taken the front off before. never the back. PERFECT TIMING!

· Read Only
109 Posts
Nice writeup, my wife and I were rear ended on Friday October 13, 2006 while sitting still at a stop light by a 2005 Accord. Looked to be minimal damage but after having the insurance adjuster look at it, it came to just under a $100 to replace the bumper cover all payed for by the Accord owner's insurance.

· Registered
169 Posts
Thanks !

I was rear-ended by an old fella and the body shop quoted C$230 + tax. I have the protective trim on the top that, I guess, also has to be replaced.

I am thinking of just covering the vertical surface with some rubber trim rather then replacing... but at these prices maybe a swap would do...

· Registered
3 Posts
$ 35 ?

only 35 dollars for the bumper guard replacement? I need to do the same thing for my 2006 ex (change to black front and back). some of the web sites ive checked out the cost is much more. any info? and thanks for the helpful replacement pics

· Retired.
13,245 Posts

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
Whitebear said:
You got yours for only $35 bucks?!?
The lowest I found was $50 at the dealerships. I guess it does pay to shop around, or if you find this information here on the boards. :)

Oh, when removed, it would also be a good time to match paint it to the body color of the E. :cool:

Check post #16 in this thread.Buy on line an save...

· Registered
971 Posts
thanks for the writeup. i am also planning on replacing my bumper covers with black ones. once i do ill put the silver ones up in the trading post if anyone wants them.

· Registered
23 Posts
black bumper gaurds

I just did this replacement,instead of prying the tabs on top I just used a razor knife and carefully cut the plastic tabs off.I was replacing the guard anyway so.....
I did not see any black colored bumper guards for sale on line. Where is anyone getting black,I though I'd have to paint them.

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.