Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found this EOC very informative lately and trust the info on here more so than my dealer these days...

A quick history 07 EX currently with 75K. Right rear caliper froze at 27K, luckily I was still under warranty sorta... but after blowing my top & standing my ground I got a brand new caliper, rotors and pads under warranty.

Jan13 with 70K much to my surprise, right rear caliper froze again & ate my pads/ rotors. I had the caliper freed, rotors & pads replaced and brake fluid flushed $688 :-/ I no sooner pulled out of the lot & all I can hear is banging and dragging.... not good after spending that kind of money! Bring it right back the next morning to have it looked at. Service Mngr told me the "backing plates" were warped & needed to straightened and put back on.

Things were fine for 3-4 weeks and then the noise returned but not as bad. Back into a loaner for another 30 hours... EOD almost 2 days later, they call to tell me everything was fine.... really did some one road test it?, "yes". When I went back in for an oil change that was free due to my continued bad service experiences. Service manager slipped & mentioned continued trouble w backing plates on E. Ok so at least you admitted there was something wrong & fixed..... Hmmmmm lack of trust piling up

Brought my E in to a non Honda mechanic that I trust. They call to tell me immediately that there is a lot of rust in between backing plates & rotors. GRRRR since Honda has now worked on that issue 3 separate times for over 24 hours at time! WTH. So they further tell me the backing plates (dust shields?) were not fitting properly & they had to use the lathe to get a proper fit & to stop the grinding into the rotors. Service mngr said it was probably because they did not use OEM but aftermarket rotors at the dealership. I am totally pissed at this point! I paid a non Honda mechanic $100 to fix the backing plates & rotors because I don't trust dealership at this point. Bringing it back to Honda would have been a free service but they had supposedly worked on that specific issue 2x already!!!

So my question for all of you EOC members, is it possible the dealership would really use after market rotors and is there anyway I can prove it? Is this "backing plate not fitting properly", really an issue on the E when OEM rotors are used?? Is it normal to have that much rust build up between the rotors and backing plates in 5K? Shouldn't the dealership have noticed this build up and that the plates were digging into my rotors 2 weeks ago?!
I am never using the dealership again! and I really losing the love affair I had w my E. My 03 E never had these rear brake issues & I beat the hell out of it!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Not a lot of this makes sense. Several Forum members have put aftermarket rotors on their Elements with no problems being reported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what is the issue with my backing plates?

I am not totally convinced by all of this BS I have been fed either.... But I could not find any posts about other EOC members having this ongoing issue with the damn backing plates?! Only 1 that mentioned it briefly and he was able to DIY so it wasn't much help on my end. I feel like I have hit a brick wall and don't know what to believe at this point. I have another Honda dealership nearby but their reputation is horrendous.... :?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had my E for almost 2 years now, and when I first got it, I replaced the rotors with some cheap after-market ones from NAPA. While the rotors are now warped, I have not had any issues with grinding. Maybe not all after-market rotors are the same? Maybe the dealership somehow put the wrong rotors on?(unlikely, but who knows?)

My other thought would be: during the winter months, try and hit a self-wash car wash and use the pressure sprayer to clean the back of the rotors as much as possible. Aim the nozzle at the gap between the rotor and the dust shield. It might help....might not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts