Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a rear cargo mat that will not allow stuff to slide around. I went to th H&A site and it looks like the only one they have is plastic. It seems that would still allow stuff to slide around.

What have others done or purchased? The first time a great hit the back I thought someone rear ended me!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Right after I got my E, I read a post about this very subject. I went to the Walmart, got a blue yoga mat, (under 10 bucks) cut it to size, and VIOLA! Nothing, I mean nothing slides any more. And, it is removable, and if ruined, can be cheaply replaced. I also cut some for the front passenger side dashboard areas, where you can put things that may slide around. It really looks professionally done, and you dont have to secure it other than put it wherever you need to have less movement! You can get these mats almost anywhere, and in several colors! :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
While you are at Wal-Mart, look at the carpets. They have rolled up carpets which fit the E almost perfectly. Can't remember the dimensions but they are almost the exact width of the inside of the E and are about 5 feet long if I remember correctly. Anyway, this carpet comes in some different colors. I cut rectangles out for the back seat mechanisms and it looks great. Comes far enough forward to fit up under the Element carpeted floor mats. I think the price was $12.95. Stops the sliding around and looks good also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made a run to Wal-Mart and bought two rugs: A bathmat with rubber backing on the underside for the cargo bay floor, and a larger commercial type rug with rubber backing to cover the tailgate when it's extended. They have been invaluable for keeping the cargo area looking nice and for tossing under and over stuff when I REALLY load the back end up. Together they fold flat enough that I can still load up the cargo area with groceries, Costco goods, etc. I've been using this little "system" since I got my E in April and it's working really well. I've had VERY minimal scratching of the plastic in the back end.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got the $99 cargo tray thrown in for free at my Honda dealer. It's semi-rubbery, and fairly flexible. The surface is kinda textured, so it helps keep things from sliding too much (and too far, since it has edges). Overall I am pleased with it. Keeps anything from rolling up front too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sold my Civic and kept the clear, extra thick front floor mats I bought for it. I put those in the back of my Element and they work great. Whenever I travel with my dog I put her pen up on the mats in the middle of the Element and the only thing that slides is her inside the pen, haha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome ideas!!! I will check them all out and do one of them for sure.

This E is a blast. people staring all the time. It has been hot here and the AC is great!!! I think I could hanfg meat in the back. Mobile E Butcher!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got three of the orange-red "kitchen mats" at Target to go in our SOP element. They look nice and don't slip because the back is rubberized. The doggies like them because they feel like rugs. One of the nice things about the rugs is that you can pull one of them out onto the back hatch when the dogs are jumping down or up and it eliminates the scrabbling. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts

B.J.'S club has a nice SUV cargo mat, about 30"x36" in gray or tan. Rubber floor mat material with a 1" lip around the edge to hold wet and spills. Looks good in my E and keeps the big plastic crate in place where I store the out of sight stuff. Cost is $14. :wink: [/img]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i had some of this rubbery non-slip stuff lying around the house and cut 2 lengths and taped it together... works like a charm:

·
Registered
89 Posts
If anyone is interested in hearing a review...I just ordered this mat in grey. I will post a review when it arrives...seems I can trim it to exactly 40" x 30" which should be a perfect fit.

http://www.mats4less.com/allweatcarma.html

BTW...I am really looking for an anti-slide solution, but would like something that is kinda weatherproof too. I know you can do anti-slide a lot cheaper.

Why doesn't Honda make an all-weather rear cargo mat to match the all-weather mats they sell?!??!?!? I know they sell the tray, but they should offer a rubber mat. I am sure they will offer one once I get this one. :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
$9 at Home Depot. A basic mat that you would use by your front door. Dark grey, short pile with rubber bottom. Works great and looks good too. Nothing slides around anymore. Definitely worth getting. Love my EBP 2WD EX. :D Later

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, the mat I mentioned in an above post came today. I really like it.

I cut all but one section of it, all the way around and it fits great. I would estimate there is 1/2" or so of space on the sides. From front to back it is perfect...it hits the 'legs' of the rear seats and hits the tailgate when it is up, but the tailgate doesn't crunch the mat.

It is a bit lighter grey than the floor, but not much, I think it looks fine. It was really easy to cut, but I have to clean up my edges as I was in a hurry and did a somewhat crappy job keeping the edges clean. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

It worked like a charm as far as sliding goes...everything holds even though some pretty tight turns. All in all I am really happy with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We picked up a roll of rubber non-slip kitchen drawer liner (in black) from Wal-Mart and cut a piece to fit under the big Rubbermaid tub we purchased to go in the back.

The storage container is much taller and more sturdy than the Honda brand organizer (http://store5.yimg.com/I/honda-parts-and-accessories_1758_27870055), plus a TON less expensive and it has a lid.

We cut the remaining amount of liner to fit the dash shelves above the glove box.

(for a larger picture, go to http://www.fullastuff.com/element/temp/element1.jpg)

(for a larger picture, go to http://www.fullastuff.com/element/temp/element2.jpg)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.