Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a few of the pictures leading up to my rear console/box for my 8" Kicker L5. No DIY on this one, but i figured i'd show some of the "steps" incase anyone else wanted to do theirs. last pic has the first layer of fiber glass soaked into the fabric.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nice choice in fleece :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
28 Posts
that Looks great man! How are you planning on securing it down? I thought about doing a console box when I was planning out the system but I decided to do a tire well box.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the top of it that is getting wrapped to match the original console covering and stitching is 2 layers of 3/4" mdf worth of additional weight and that little L5 weights a good bit too. the console is basically sandwiched between the seats and the console so it doesnt move and with the dura glass used to "match it up" to the back of the existing console it goes nowhere.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait to see this finished. :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would advise that you at least tether it to the floor somehow. My friend was in a rollover accident years ago, and the box he had in the rear of his Blazer went flying and almost killed him.

I'd second that. Remember, in a crash it will be travelling at the speed you were, just before the sudden stop. A weighted kicker going at 40 mph is going to do way more than leave a bruise. It comes flying over the seat in a crash, and you'll be missing a head.

...very nice job, by the way, but please... anchor that bad-boy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. and what i might do is use some seatbelt type strapping and just have a loop that i long enough to go back and under the rear seat "mounts" when they clip into the floor. the box isnt going anywhere durring normal driving (or me driving like a total [email protected]) like it is now but i agree about if i were in an accident. although i would be more concerned with the dui that might come along with it than the box hitting me... just kidding. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might even be able to attach somehow under the existing console? Atleast then you can still put the rear seats up if you had to. I dunno just a thought! I really do like it alot tho! I wonder how big the console would have to be for my Diyma R12 lol :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that might be an option but i want to be able to take it out so that if i need to i can. if i have the rear seats out for something then i will probably not have the sub in there either. it has banana jacks on the bottom for quick disconnecting.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So its done (minus the strapping down that i have to go to the place i got the vinyl this weekend to get the seatbelt material i want to use)

I want to thank the boys at Metra and Kicker for the parts that they provided that helped make this possible. They are great people and really know their stuff. Thanks guys!!!!

I used an anderson connector to make it quick disconnect in the end. I wasnt too thrilled with the way the bananna jacks were lining up so I glassed over those and did the 10/12 ga andersone connector instead. little bit of duraglass, little bit of body filler, some color matched paint, some color matched vinyl, black trunk liner, oh and some stitching by my guy that is here local. enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Simply Awesome, when you gonna build me one?
Looks great, hows it sound?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This is really inspiring me to try it myself. I thought the sides of your box would be more "sucked in" with the fleece stretching. I've been wanting to try and build a Stealthbox clone but didn't want to build it using the plug and mold method because it's twice the work. After seeing yours I think I can just build a 3 sided box and fleece around the other 3 sides. The Stealthbox curves out a little so if mine looks too concave maybe I can use a beach ball or balloon underneath it when I start glassing. I wanted a 10 inch sub but now I'm thinking about getting an 8 just to save a little space. Sometimes when someone parks too close to my driver side I get in the passenger side and scoot over. That space between the seats makes it easy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is really inspiring me to try it myself. I thought the sides of your box would be more "sucked in" with the fleece stretching. I've been wanting to try and build a Stealthbox clone but didn't want to build it using the plug and mold method because it's twice the work. After seeing yours I think I can just build a 3 sided box and fleece around the other 3 sides. The Stealthbox curves out a little so if mine looks too concave maybe I can use a beach ball or balloon underneath it when I start glassing. I wanted a 10 inch sub but now I'm thinking about getting an 8 just to save a little space. Sometimes when someone parks too close to my driver side I get in the passenger side and scoot over. That space between the seats makes it easy.

all you have to do is use strips of wood cut into the "shape" you want it to be and you strech the fleece over those. the closer the pieces are the less duraglass filler you will have to use to get the shape you want overall on the outside. you could try balloons to keep it pushed out just dont have them too inflated cause once it dries that far out it will be harder then adding duraglass and filler to something that isnt so smooth on the outside. just a couple suggestions. i was an instructor at ii in holly hill for a while and i learned alot of cool stuff fabrication wise, but as far as that stuff goes i am no jeremy carlson, i am more of a behind the scenes/wiring guy. all in all i think it turned out pretty good though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Simply Awesome, when you gonna build me one?
Looks great, hows it sound?
thanks man. whenever you move to florida i will help you build one. :) sounds pretty good running off that 700.5. now i just have to get a new deck to make the sublevel control more user friendly than the d1 is now. the amp has the level control knob but i am not a big fan of the way it looks so it isnt mounted, i control the level from the radio and leav it in the back hooked up cause if it isnt plugged into the amp it doesnt sound as good. i never really understood why the kicker amps are like that, but oh well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts