Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new owner of a 2003 Element EX AWD. I got it inspected prior to buying to know what repairs to expect.

I'm looking into buying parts and the only thing I can't find on Rockauto and such is an inner CV boot for the rear driver side. It's busted and leaking grease and I should replace.

Does anyone know if I can use an outer boot instead? Or a front inner boot? Those are available.

Ideally I'd keep the OEM axle, but if i can't find a proper boot I'll likely go with an aftermarket axle.

Also, there seems to be very few videos of rear axle changes for the element, wonder why that is, and if there's any "gotchas" vs a front axle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
225 Posts
Based on what I see on Majestic's site, I believe the inner and outer boots are the same. $30

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’m looking at boots also and the tears are the same. Kit Qty 4 for the rear drive.
Be careful buying junk aftermarket boots, I’m reading that Neoprene doesn’t last as long. But if you e leaked a lot of grease you could have a bigger problem so check the joint thoroughly. It’s a PITA to drop the transmission and get both axles so you might as well do them both inner and outer while you have them accessible. I will probably do the same thing soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @pihmpdaddi! In terms of checking the inner joint, any tips on testing prior to removing? I tried moving the axle in and out (parallel to the axle), and there is some play (1/4 inch). Is that expected? Pushing the axle towards the front of the car and back there is no play.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There should be a good amount of axial play. There should be no radial play (fwd aft/ up dwn). Check that the shaft is not rusted at the boot clamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts