Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 EX AWD has had some vibration issues I am trying to diagnose. I have replaced the front drivers side axle with a OE replacement and will most likely do the front passenger side too.

I grabbed the shafts on both of the rear axles and there was a lot of play in them. Is that normal, or should those axles be tight as well with no play in any direction? It was fully lateral play, as if the shaft was sliding in and out of the joint.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CV shafts are designed with extensive axial play. They should have very little (almost no) radial play. Do a search on CV joints and read about how they work, it will make sense.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
321 Posts
Have you had your tires balanced lately? Does the vibration follow vehicle speed? Engine speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had your tires balanced lately? Does the vibration follow vehicle speed? Engine speed?
I haven't had my tires balanced recently. The vibration is worst when accelerating in second gear (i have a 5MT) from about 2000 to 4500 RPM. If I'm in 4th on the highway at high-ish RPMs and i turn to the left, there is a super noticeable vibration through the steering wheel.

I did just notice that the strut mount on the front passenger side is worn out. Could that be causing vibrations?

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
321 Posts
If parts of the suspension are worn out, it may allow things to move more from imbalances in the tires, wheels, axles, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts