Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rear Differential Mounts / Bushings / Damper / Insulators

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  djmatix 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the rear sway bar bushings, end links, and full shock/struck assemblies (2006 EX AWD MT/NightHawkBlackPearl/110k)
Most of the bad noises were removed after replacing the links, bushings and shocks.
But now I have a new noise!!

It is a chattering at the rear differential area, mainly at idle with transmission in neutral or clutch engaged. I thought at first my shocks were not tightened well enough in the upper strut tower. This was not the case. It has progressed from a small rattling while stationary to a loud knocking. It is also audible while driving.
In the beginning it would disappear when the clutch was engaged.

While I had it up for its minor suspension work I noticed the following....
that my Rear Differential Dynamic Damper (#44) was completely shot.

I also noticed that my Rubber in the Rear Differential Mount (#19) is also badly cracked and worn.

I will be changing the diff fluid and replacing #44 and #19 as well as the bolts #45, #42 and washer #37.

My main question, since it's likely my other rubber pieces are rotted, is how much of a pain is it to swap out the Differential Mount Assy.'s Insulators (#16)
AND
While I have it all apart...WHAT ELSE CAN I DO for preventative maintenance?

I bought the E in Colorado and it has suffered SOME rusting but not horrible.
Bad enough that a torch and saw were required for the "minor" suspension service prior.

Thank you in advance for all help and input! :060:

See less See more
#3 ·
Replacing the differential and crossmember mounts and insulators is a royal pain, particularly if any of the bolts are rusted. If I were chasing a noise that can be duplicated while the vehicle is stationary I would get it up in the air make absolutely certain of the source of the noise before I started tossing parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.