Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have owned my (new to me) 06 ASM EX-P for 12 days now. Dog loves it, wife loves it, I love it. PArt of the deal was for the dealer to fix two minor interior problems (a deep gouge in the center control bezel, and a missing rubber bumper on the back seat). So a trip back to the dealer on Friday and 30 minutes later, all taken care of.

Tonight when I go to put the dog in the back seat, opening the passenger side rear door, the plastic handle-trim extension just slid right off into my hand. It looks like the screw fell out (I found a screw that fits perfectly in the hole sitting on the door sill), allowing the two L shaped tabs to slide back and out of their respective slots.

Problem one. I think that it may be covered under my 12/12000 comprehensive warranty (it was a certified Honda used car- so it came with it). D'y'all think that such a minor problem be covered?

Problem Two. If it's not covered, how difficult is it to remove the interior door panel and get access to the screw-hole to re-attach the darn thing? The last time I took a door panel off, It was on a 80 Buick. I didn't care if I muffed that one up- but I am concerned about the interior of my new ElsiE, though... and, more importantly, so is my wife! My puppy-dog really doesn't care, as long as he gets to go along!

Any help you might have would be appreciated- I've searched for a similar topic here, but the only with door panel removal info is not the same as mine...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got warranty? Then It's issue,lLet them fix it.

You shouldn't have to spend your time repairing it!

·
Registered
669 Posts
That was a new feature for the 06s. :rolleyes:

I'd do it yourself. Screw wasting time sitting at the dealer, waiting.

Ok, I'll confirm this for you, but there should be a small part that pops out of the trim piece, near the back where your fingers go. You should be able to put the screw back in the there without taking the whole panel off.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok, it's as I described above, but her is some more info from Wasted's interior door trim thread:

Rear door:

I am assuming now that you read the front door removal. Rear door is a little easier. First: free the door handle unit like before. You will have to remove two bronze screws. Honestly I can't remember where the second one is. The first is behind a flap under the door handle. I think you can find the second one if you remove the rear speaker grill. You don't have to remove the rear speaker, but you will have to disconnect it at some point. The last thing you have to do before you start prying it off is to remove the lower seatbelt bolt. Pull the plastic housing off and using a 14mm socket, take it off. If you want to remove the pillar housing above the panel, you will have to do this first so you may want to do it all in one shot. That also requires the removal of a second bolt to feed pieces of the seatbelt through. Pop the panel clips free and take it off. You will have to feed the door handle assembly through the hole again. Removing the handle and pocket plastic is the same as the front door.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35390&highlight=remove+rear+door+panel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info- I called my salesman and he said that normally trim pieces aren't covered, but as I just bought ElsiE, they'd get it right for me. All-in-all a good expericence with the dealer... they may have just earned my repeat business!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good to hear. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts