Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right rear door has not been closing properly,I found the latch on the bottom of suicide door to be completely loose.I tried to tighten it but it is spinning.There must have been something underneath it for it to screw into but I cannot see anything.I removed the trim panels from the rocker panel and door sill but cannot see anyway to get inside that area to locate whatever was holding it on.I have a 2003 EX that is just out of warranty!
Anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this without a trip to dealer?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Rear Door Latch

Thanks for the reply. I looked around removed door sill cover and rocker panel trim but I cannot see any way into that area. Also,how can I get something inside ther so I can attach the bottom door latch again? I went by Honda dealer today and they siad for $93/hr they would try to fix it but it would probably take a couple of hours!

Please help with any ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Re: Rear Door Latch

Part 5 is described as 'STRIKER ASSY., RR. PANEL LOCK (LOWER)'. I looked at other parts pages, but couldn't identify the part that bolt 32 screws into. I suspect is passes through a sill plate (or liner) and into a nut integrated into the inner door sill. I have no idea how much work it is to take the sill apart.

Having taken various inside panels off, I believe most parts are designed for ease of assembly in the factory. Sometimes this means that disassembly is relatively easy, if done in the right order, but that isn't always the case. I suspect that in the factory the door sill is assembled, and then the striker plate simply bolted on (with not special contortions required).

Some owners have had problems with door noise, which was solved by the dealer adjusting the striker plate - whether the top or bottom one I don't know.

paulj

·
Registered
177 Posts
Suicide door

Thanks for the replies, and as requested here are a couple of pics. The posted threads I had already found, and the exploded door is not the issue. As you can see in the pics, it is the catch thingy that is bolted/screwed to the bottom door sill. In the first pic you can see the loop in place, and in the second pic I have taken it out, and you can see the gaping holes where the bolts hang down into, but there is nothing to screw them into!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
It looks like you are missing some sort of threaded backing plate. One possibility is that it is still there, rattling around loose in plastic sill under the door. If you are mechanically inclined you might figure out a way of removing the sill, and look at this from below. But unless someone comes up with more information, I'd strongly suggest a trip to a dealer, so it can be repaired properly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, given the description in the FSM for adjusting the lower striker, it leads me to believe there is a floating backing plate in there...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks everyone, and especially Paulj for the exploded view of the side. It is part #5, and the screws are part #32. I am going to see if I can get the cladding off and investigate from the bottoml. And don't worry, I will take all the necessary pics and post the results on this thread!:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lower striker

OK, I got the cladding off, and there is no way to access those holes from the bottom. Once I had the cladding off however, I came up with this brilliant idea that I could drill an access hole (that would be behind the cladding once re-installed) and could get to the bottom of the bolts from that hole. Did it work? Not so much. I now have a hole in the side of the car (now covered of course) when it occurred to me that I would have access to get those bolts started, but there was not way I would ever be able to provide enought grip from that hole to hold the nut securely enough to apply enough pressure on the bolt head to make it tight. So, net result? I have a hole in my car that Honda never intended. Mrs CoolE, bless her heart, let me do this to our new baby (we have only had it 9 days) and never said a word, but I could tell from the look in her eyes that I might as well have taken the drill bit to her. At least you cannot see it now. If I were a drinking man, I down a couple of stiff ones for that.....OK, I'll say it....boneheaded idea. Newest plan? I am going to ask Trevor on the "Stump the dealer" forum (wait...maybe that's "Ask the dealer"?) if he can tell me what those two bolts screw into. And just as an added bonus, I stuck one of those mechanic's magnets down in that hole to see what I could scrounge up, and there is nothing in there. I can only surmise, that whatever is used to hold those bolts either broke, and were removed from the top, or were never there in the first place, and not even the first owner bothered to get it corrected. Since that lose striker causes both the passenger door and the back door to rattle (I even get the door open light sometimes!) this is something that I need to get taken care of right away......I will post on this thread what the final result happens to be. And by the way, that cladding stuff is not so easy to get off. There are clips that are mounted in the cladding, and they usually stay in the car when the piece comes off. Then you have to remove them from the car, re-install them on the piece, so it can be pushed back on. Good times, good times.

CoolE

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP!! Latch Plate on passenger door..

Hi Everyone!

I stop by here often to get hints and tips for my beloved Element. I have a problem that I hope you guys can help me with today:

My husband was just cleaning out our element after a weekend of travel. He noticed the Latch plate on the passenger door was loose so he decided to remove it and then put it back and add something in between the bolts to keep it from rattling around again.
:?
Here's the problem: The nuts are now in the body just below the door and neither of us can figure out how to get them out and reattach the latch plate!

I know it's probably a simple solution and neither of us can see it because we're too sunburned and tired from being out having FUN in our Element..

Any help anyone can send would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Jen

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
First the should-have: when mine was loose, I just tightened the bolts, and haven't had a repeat problem. He could also have applied some lock-tite (blue liquid) to the bolts or nuts before tightening.

Now for the present problem: can you tell if there are two loose nuts, or are the nuts attached together? If they are separate you may have to remove the sill to get at them. But if together, it may be possible to fish around, and align them with the opening. Then use a hook or something to hold one nut close to its opening while you thread the other bolt in place. You might first try threading the bolts into the nuts without the top plate.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the 'floating' lower door sill latch/striker issue goes unsolved? I searched a bunch on this site and didn't find a solution. Its past the point of tightening as the screws just spin. Weird thing is the loose latch never rattled - I just happened to notice it sitting crooked and realized it wasn't screwed into anything.

I was hoping someone came up with a fix rather than shelling out $$ at the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If the bottom plate is still in place, you're ahead of the game. Have you tried removing one of the screws? If you're very lucky, the screws are stripped, not the plate. If the plate is stripped, you could Heli-Coil it. There should be enough thread on one of the screws to determine its pitch. Just be sure to do only one side at a time!

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the bottom plate is still in place, you're ahead of the game. Have you tried removing one of the screws? If you're very lucky, the screws are stripped, not the plate. If the plate is stripped, you could Heli-Coil it. There should be enough thread on one of the screws to determine its pitch. Just be sure to do only one side at a time!
unfortunately the bottom plate is not in place. I lifted up the plastic sill and the latch assembly slides right out. I tried looking into the 2 screw holes but couldn't spot the plate. I'm asking the dealer about it and will report back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 2 screws apparently tighten into an expanding grommet. Seems like the service/parts crew hadn't seen this issue before. They ordered 3 different kinds because they weren't sure which one will work. Parts should be in by Tues.

Part number
90663-SB2-003
90820-SNA-003
82871-671-000

Labor was quoted at $100. Parts are a couple bucks. Thinking of doing the work myself but never took the lower plastic pc off before.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Which of the 3 part numbers above is the correct part number for the expanding grommet?

Has any one completed this repair?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I attempted to back out the screws to apply some loctite to them (they kept backing out), I found out the hard way the nuts are not affixed to the body. The piece dropped down and I had to fish it out with a telescopic magnet. It is a metal plate approximately 2-2.5 inches wide that is wide at the ends and narrow in the middle (kinda I-shaped turned on its side). It took several tries, but I was able to get it up to the surface and hold it in place with needle nose pliers while threading in the first screw.

What a complete pain in the butt! I don't understand why Honda would do anything like this. Why not weld this plate or at least some nuts in place just below the surface???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts