Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, the passenger side rear door window suddenly exploded while driving down a long steep hill (the little pop-out window).

I'm planning to replace the window myself. Has anyone done this and can provide some good advise? I'm hoping to hear that the interior trims do not need to be removed to complete the job.
:domokun:

·
Registered
873 Posts
not sure how to replace it ,but you might want to add twirate sticker to the new one for good luck !!! my E has only been broken into once since I add it to mine !!!! :)evil:last week)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Folks at the dealership said they've never heard of glass breaking by itself.

I was driving 2-lane road I (one way each direction), no sidewalks, sloped hill on the left side, and woods to the right side. Three cars were following me, no cars in front and no on-coming traffic. All of the sudden, I heard a big poping sound from the shattering of window.

This neighborhood is pretty quiet. It's a subdivision with large houses. Maybe something hit it, maybe not. Either way, I can't prove it.

The glass is only secured with 3 pins and clips. But it looks like I need to remove the door's interior plastics to get access. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before while I wait for the Service Manual and the glass to arrive.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Puku, check with your insurance carrier. Your comprehensive may cover it. I know that if you have a flat tire and the tire flaps and destroys your fender, and the alloy rim is destroyed, your comprehensive will repair or replace everything except the tire itself.

HalfaHum

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd put more money on a kid with a rock or bb gun, than the window exploding by itself.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I'd put more money on a kid with a rock or bb gun, than the window exploding by itself.
Thats what happened to me on I-71 in cincinnati when I was driving my Jeep - I found the BB the next morning cleaning up the glass

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Definitely. I've had the BB/small caliber thing happen (window didn't break, tho')... plus I've been egged from an overpass, and had a brick dropped on me from an overpass.

All random. That last one was, yes, really scary.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had someone throw water balloons filled with salt water at me from behind a bush. Boy were they scared when I flipped a bi*** and drove it right up on the sidewalk (huge sidewalk for work trucks) and drove towards them, they dropped all their stupid water balloons and ran. I had little tiny salt scratches in a waterfall pattern down the side of my car, I was pissed. I've also had my rear window blown out with a BB gun. The whole window just exploded, so that's probably what happened.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
. . . I'm hoping to hear that the interior trims do not need to be removed to complete the job. :domokun:
The shop manual I have (2004) says the interior trim has to be removed to access the nuts holding the leading edge of the pane. I think the only difference in door construction between 04 and 07 is the seat belt anchor.

If you are intimated by taking off the trim, it's probably better for you to have a glass shop do the work, but if you're not, the replacement steps in my manual (abbreviated) are:

- (if present) remove upper seat belt anchor cover, remove anchor bolt ( two washers, 2 collars and a bushing).
- pull the weatherstrip out as necessary,
- pull out on the top of the (lower) door panel to release the hooks,
- pull out on the rear door trim panel to detach the clips (3, one at top, one on leading edge, one near the center of the panel. )

- pull out on the glass cover lock, remove bolts to the door, remove lock from door
- hold the glass, remove the 4 nuts
- transfer the lock parts to the new glass
- install in reverse order
- check for squareness, lock operation, leaks, wind noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for info, psschmied! I ordered the glass window from Majestic Honda.

Regarding the clips for the upper access panel lining, are those clips reusable? I thought I'd read a post saying those clips are one-time use only. But they look just like the rest of the clips used on the lower door lining.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you notice a red laser dot, maybe your past is catching up with you... :-D kidding aside , hope everything goes smooth with repairs. give your insurance company a call, they may pay for the whole thing.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Thanks for info, psschmied! I ordered the glass window from Majestic Honda.

Regarding the clips for the upper access panel lining, are those clips reusable? I thought I'd read a post saying those clips are one-time use only. But they look just like the rest of the clips used on the lower door lining. I have a 2007 E.
You are very welcome. I like Majestic; they're a good source for parts like this.

I believe that the clips are reusable. So far, every clip I've encountered on the interior and exterior of the Element is reusable- provided that you don't yank the panels off abruptly and crack off the tabs or plastic channels onto which they fit. 'Course I've been able to reuse and repair a lot of things that were intended to be disposable by their manufacturers. (I hate waste.)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
So far, every clip I've encountered on the interior and exterior of the Element is reusable- provided that you don't yank the panels off abruptly and crack off the tabs or plastic channels onto which they fit. 'Course I've been able to reuse and repair a lot of things that were intended to be disposable by their manufacturers. (I hate waste.)
Never take off the trim on the A-Pillars. Those red and black clips are designed to break and are a 1 time use thing. Must be because there's an airbag hiding up above there. Not sure. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh... must be the clips in the A-pillar that I read about being one time-use only. Thanks.:018:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Puku, check with your insurance carrier. Your comprehensive may cover it. I know that if you have a flat tire and the tire flaps and destroys your fender, and the alloy rim is destroyed, your comprehensive will repair or replace everything except the tire itself.

HalfaHum
Save your insurance for the real accident. You rates could jump up. Don't even call them! Get a glass from a junk yard or have a glass place install it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yup, I ordered the new glass and the 3 pin seals(bushings). Parts came to less than $150 shipped. It does look too complicated of a job, as long as I don't make any unnecessary damage to the linings.

I just hope the little metric e-clips don't fly off into outer space when I take them off. Otherwise, it's another trip to hardware store. On second thought, I should have order some new clips...:002:

Hey, here are our Shiba! Papa on the left, mama in the middle and the boy on the right.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts