Honda Element Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
OK, this looks doable, especially if you're not too picky about appearances.

Upper hinge attachments, inside.
Nuts are 8mm (5/16").

Lower hinge attachments

Hinge, removed from car

Hinge parts

The hinges aren't mechanical pivots like most hinges but rather thin metal that bends when the window pops open. (Since the window only opens a few degrees, I guess that's good enough.) You could replace these with real hinges, or ... simply replace the "buttons" with a 20mm (3/8") bolts, with the heads inside, and attach the window with Nyloc wing nuts. You'd have to find a way to secure the bolt heads on the inside.

As for the hasp, one of the roll pins isn't covered by the hand lever when the hasp is closed. Replace that pin with a hitch or cotter pin. That should make window removal a two-minute process, with minimal or no tools, yet retain the window mechanism's integrity.

Hasp

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you could prob replace the existing hinge nuts with nuts simmilar to these.
drill corresponding holes in the plastic inner panel add some trim on the holes and end up with a simple removal and a pretty pro looking install

or if just removing the glass. can set it all up with Dzux fasteners

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power windows in rear doors!

The best change they could do is put power windows in the rear doors.
How can this vehicle be the Dog vehicle of the year with out dogs being able to stick their heads out? My dogs love my CRV because the back windows go down!

Maybe people with dogs should give advice on changes to the Element!

The look is great and does not need a lot of changes but get rid of the old pickup truck pop out windows. My dogs are begging you!

You may want to try sitting in the back seat on a Hot summer day! Hey open the windows! Sorry that is all we can do!

This is Great Truck but do I have to use the A/C all the time? It is an outdoor adventure vehicle lets let some outdoors in!

Anybody ever hear of a way to remove the rear door windows or a kit to make it easier?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anybody thought about removable rear windows?

I'm sure somebody already thought about it within the past 6 years. couldn't find a thread. To me the window is useless, and my dog hates it. Something like the removable sunroof, it does seem possible, making the hinge and the latch removable i guess. It probably wont be safe though. Just wondering...

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I first thought you wanted to open the rear quarter windows, but on rereading I think you are talking about the ones on the rear doors the swing out a couple of inches. There has been talk about modifying them, but I don't recall any reports of anyone actually doing something.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep forgetting they even flip out. Would be nice if hey were more functional. One of many corners cut in designing the E. Keeps costs down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I removed the back driver side window on mine once 8) Although I must admit, the intention was not because I wanted to open it more, but because I got locked in the back :(
Since I live in norway, I needed a stupid wall behind the front seats(and remove the rear seats) to not pay an additional $30k to get my E' on the road. Being in the back whith the doors closed is then a bad idea.. luckily I had my socket wrench set back there so I could pop the window off without breaking it :twisted:

On topic: I don't see a problem in modding the window to be removable as long as you take safety measures to make it stay in place and not fall off while driving

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
this may be far fetched but....why not (for the summer) replace them with clear zipper plastic. like say jeep wrangler windows have a frame that mounts like stock but the center un zips

the other 3 windows are all glued in correct? a zip window would be great for all of them.rear would require a wiper delete though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sliding back windows?

Has anyone heard of modifying the back cargo area windows to slide open the same as some pickup camper shells do? The half that opens is screened so it let's air in but keeps the dog from putting his head out. I think this would be a great idea. It would be a great way to get more air in the back if you need to go somewhere and leave your dog for a moment.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The cargo area windows wrap around the back corners. You'd have trouble making a replacement that looked anywhere as good. A change like that would compromise resale value.

As for ventilation for dogs I think the E already is about as good as they come - with relatively secure popout side windows and the skylight. There has also been some discussion about using a short locking bar to secure the upper tailgate in a partially open position.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
If someone could make a panel to exactly match the rear corner window, it would attach to the body the same way the glass does (glue, presumably). The panel is a simple shape and could be made from metal or composite. Just cut a hole in it for the window frame, a standard unit made for a pickup cap.

PaulJ's right about the resale value, so this would only work for those of us who don't worry too much about that. And there would always be a risk of water leakage. Still, I think this is doable and would love to see somebody take it on.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used to have a 1974 VW Thing years ago. If anyone knows those cars, they had plastic removable panels instead of windows. They were either off or on, no openings to be had. Using an existing frame I custom fabricated a new one along with a thick plexi two piece window. The first version had a piano hinge, the second was a slider that went forward to rear. This could easily be done on the E if one were so inclined.

As far as real electric windows, I think they are what they are for safety issues being there is no hard frame post between the doors. I may be wrong but thats my hunch.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What about replacing the leading edge hinges with hasps like the trailing edge and placing cotter pins in the hinge rivets to make them removable?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, that post is what had me thinking. Replace the bendy "hinge" with the hasp to allow it to open either the front edge, rear(stock style), both or remove the thing entirely by pulling out the cotter pin on the hasp pivot. I know that opening the front edge will catch more air/ increase drag and possibly pull out at highway speeds (not sure how much drag it could create).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Moved your thread into here. This should help you out. AFAIK, it has not been
done yet. If you can figure out a way to do it, you would gain HERO status!!!
Keep us posted.
I read most this thread before posting, and it didnt really relate except for the idea of changing the rear windows in general. All Im talking about is replacing the latch with a motorized version, everything else in here is about significant modifications or impractical ideas.

But you're the boss, boss.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts