Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post, thought i'd make it count.

I'm a newb when it comes to Elements, but not to Honda's. I've owned about 7 or 8 over the last 10 years.

I Picked up a 2006 Element EX with 90k on it in April 2011. First thing i noticed when i test drove it was a loud clunking from the rear when going over bumps or cracks, and the rear diff chattering when turning tight or backing and turning. I talked the seller down about $600 and drove it home on a gamble that I could fix the issues myself. :?

Took it home to tackle the most expensive fix first, drained diff fluid and filled, drove in circles, drained and filled and more circles and the chatter was gone. drained and filled just for good measure and it was time(90k service) and i had succeeded in fixing that issue for $12 worth of DualPump fluid. :razz:

Next I took a stab at the rear end clunking noise. I looked at the sway bar end links, and Lower Control Arm Bushings. All seemed tight, looked at the sway bar link bushing ( that holds it to the body) and it looked kinda dried out. Went to the Dealer and picked up the bushings and links. Got home and took it apart. Bushings are held down by 2 x 12mm bolts, and the bushing has a slit to allow you to take it off the bar(see pics). It was obvious that this was the issue as they were worn and glazed where they had been rubbing on the sway bar.
I slipped the new busing on and bolted the clamp over the new bushings and drove down my driveway and up my street and the rear end of my Element was now Silent !:-D
I returned the SwayBar end links because i didnt need them.

This is the part number for the bushing: 52306-scv-000
i think i paid $4 each.

Cheap Fix and it worked! I've been driving it the last 8 months and still no clunking noise.

I've attached Picures to help you figure it out.

Good luck and thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome abroad and congrats on your fix.
I had the same on mine after I got it only on the front. It made noise a few times and then didn't do it again. Once I looked around I saw why the noise quit. It was the right link, I replaced both and later heard a noise again that wasn't there before. I replaced the bushings for good measure and it persisted. Long story short, one of the bolts on the RF link had loosened up. Now it's nice and quiet. I got Moog links which are much better than the OEM links and include grease fittings. Should be a lifetime fix on the front ones.

·
Registered
541 Posts
After replacing sway bar end links and having NO luck solving the infamous clunk noise, I spent $20 having these bushings sent to my house... and issue solved!!
Besides the trip to Home Depot b/c of 3 out of the 4 bolts snapped, this was a 10 min job and worth every minute and dollar!!!! :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this Post

$6.70 in Honda parts and a bit of a struggle with installation but the noise is gone. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST !!
RSPON1

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1
I put up with the clunking/rattling for roughly 35,000 miles (at 120k now), and I was positive that it couldn't be something this simple. Well, I finally nutted up and gave this a shot. 10 minutes later and she's solid as a rock, it's amazing! I too will be returning the end links I purchased.

I should add some information I was looking for prior to this: My old bushings looked just fine, honest. Even when I removed them, they weren't particularly deformed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am going to replace my rear end bushings this weekend and wanted to know the size of the bolts you picked up at home depot. I am sure i will snap a few. My E is 10 years old and things are a little stubborn... Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to the OP for this write-up. Like others, I swore this was going to be an expensive fix when I first got the noise. $8 for parts! Super easy and very satisfying fix!!! THANKS!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup. Had the clunk on the 2005 EX I just bought. Purchased some bushings online for $3 each. Had them installed at my next oil change. Feels and sounds totally different. It's amazing what two little pieces of rubber can do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts