Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about four months ago my 03 EX AWD started making a repeating squeak that keeps pace with the wheel speed (squeak, squeak, squeak.... faster and faster). It’s only in R, and it happens whether I use the brake or not. I put all four wheels off the ground and crawled under with it in R. It sounds like it is coming from the general vicinity of the rear differential, but it’s hard to say for sure.
I replaced the DP fluid about a month ago. No change. Yes, I used the Hona DP fluid.
The brake pads are good. I sanded all the rust off the rotors—including the parking brake. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
585 Posts
When you had the rotors off, did you see any unusual wear pattern such as that in this thread? Unusual wear pattern inside parking brake drum..?? Common, usually worse on one side when turning at low speed. If that is it, just have someone use a brake lathe and remove the two ridges on the back of the rotor that contact the rust-bulged backing plate. Cheap and did the trick for me. Grinding/burnishing/priming and painting the backing plate lasted a couple of years for me, then it came back. Honda only left enough clearance there for a perfect world.
Some aftermarket rotors seem worse than others. Autozones have been mentioned in one of the threads on this. Just one possibility, but a common occurrence especially in the rust belt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Marv. Thanks for the reply. When I had it apart I did inspect the backing plates and parking brakes for signs of rubbing. I saw plenty of rust, but no shiny or streaked places. Nothing that looked like rubbing/contact. I used my orbital sander to knock off as much rust as I could from the backing plate. There was a lot of rust right where the big silver streak is in the picture you referenced (but no rubbing). I also sanded the parking brake itself (I don't use it anyway), the rotor surfaces, and the 'drum' inside the rotor for the P-brake. None of that made any difference.

With all four wheels off the ground and the wheels turning in R (it only happes in R), I listened at each wheel, and ... I just don't think it is coming from either wheel. It's coming from inside/underneath. I thought it was the driveshaft, but it's further back, around the differential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts