Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us around here are looking at this installation.

The version I am planning:

- install the lights into the rear bumper cover itself
- requires cutting of the cover and portions of the plastic pieces immediately behind the cover
- targeted lights: simple flange mounts, the brake light circuit will be switch activated to serve as the rear fogs

Am looking to see if I can find some of the dual color types starting to come out so I can install white/red units to also serve as AUX backup lights.

Now...if I can just find a few hours in a row...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
you could always do my idea of getting a foglight with a red halo on it, tap the fog light itself into the reverse lights and tap the halo into the braking lights

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just be sure that the area you cut has ample room behind it as the rear bumper cover has that actual bumper material behind it.
I figure I may have to be cutting out some of that filler material that would sit right behind the unit itself. I really need to just get my butt up and take the bumper apart one morning so I can make specific plans on it.

I like the idea of rear fog lights too. Lots of rain and fog here! I have been thinking of this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALJSYI...e=380333&creativeASIN=B000ALJSYI&linkCode=asn

For sure they would be easier to install. Just so much more prefer the full installation look...of course, since that's what is keeping the project from actually moving forward right now, makes it harder to justify the preference, eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could always do my idea of getting a foglight with a red halo on it, tap the fog light itself into the reverse lights and tap the halo into the braking lights
Got a link/reference handy on one of those sets? I'll take a look...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked at them...

So just how bright are these halo rings? Ideally, the light for the reqar fogs should be similar to brake light intensity.

The other part to tackle is the deeper mounting requirements behind the bumper cover...not impossible but haven't looked to see.

Thanks for the tip hockeyguy. WIll keep these in the loop of what's possible.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
from what ive seen they are pretty bright, but i dont know about brake light intensity. i guess it would be a try-and-see thing. if you end up doing it, let me know. i was gonna do it, but them i got my SC rear bumper and changed my mind

Just looked at them...

So just how bright are these halo rings? Ideally, the light for the reqar fogs should be similar to brake light intensity.

The other part to tackle is the deeper mounting requirements behind the bumper cover...not impossible but haven't looked to see.

Thanks for the tip hockeyguy. WIll keep these in the loop of what's possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was actually going to by a pair of PIAA Deno 3 rear fogs and try to do an in bumper install. Amazon only sells those so I'll probably order mine from cargym.com because I'm thinking of getting an extra set for the front for DRLs (different shaped PIAA LED lights that also come in white, yellow, or blue)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Deno 3s for the rear

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
and possibly Deno 2s for DRLs up front

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might want to consider these, which are surface mounted. They meet and SAE DOT FMVSS 108 requirements for brake lights and would save a lot of cutting:

:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Re...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
THose aren't bad at all...a little thick but the surface mount would help alleviate one other potential issue: making sure these are directed rearward vs an outward angle to the left and right (the corners curve in on the rear bumper cover just a bit). I could more easily shim these.

Thanks for that link psschmied. Haven't seen these. Might well be worth the effort since I could always still make the additional cuts for the others if I don't like them.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
You're welcome.

I've been spending a lot of time lately looking at exterior LED lamps, that are less pricey than the nice ones Bling sells, 'cause my budget has shrunk rapidly :-(. . . almost ready to order, I think . . .

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're welcome.

I've been spending a lot of time lately looking at exterior LED lamps, that are less pricey than the nice ones Bling sells, 'cause my budget has shrunk rapidly :-(. . . almost ready to order, I think . . .
Understood! My biggest additional bottleneck is time...just don't have any. Averaging 50+ hours/week work and on the road and a wife that travels and our 3 kids all 7 and under...well, you get the picture. It's hard to tell my wife I'll be out playing with the car on the weekend right now.

I may order these soon as well...keep the loop active, let's see what can be pulled off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok so for those who have installed the rear fogs, how did you wire them? I was thinking about running the power wires up to my front fogs and patching into those so when I hit the switch for those the rear LEDs would come on. My only other option is an individual switch but I'm still not sure how to get the wiring inside the E from the rear for the switch. Any ideas would be helpful :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so for those who have installed the rear fogs, how did you wire them? I was thinking about running the power wires up to my front fogs and patching into those so when I hit the switch for those the rear LEDs would come on. My only other option is an individual switch but I'm still not sure how to get the wiring inside the E from the rear for the switch. Any ideas would be helpful :)
Revival of the thread a year later...

For wiring, my plan is similar with a bit more:
- Three way switch: On with front fogs, Off completely, and on with brake lights. Just a couple of relay circuits needed to pull this off and provides more use of the installation efforts.

A year later and it's still something out there of a want-to-do I'm afraid. No good excuses when it comes down to it. One can always make time for what one feels most important right? Heck...just got around to putting on an EOC decal last week! :oops:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I plan to build my own. to replace my rear bumper reflectors.

im going to wire the power into my front fogs when i install them.

im also getting the led light strip that fits under my tailgate. that has brake/blinker/reverse lights in 49" so it should be perfect fit

1 - 20 of 37 Posts