Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo,

I've searched through the forum here for rear latch issues and haven't been able to find anything similar. Trying to see if there's an easy fix, or if I should just live with it or replace it.

So my rear latch is messed up.

At first with it acting up i noticed there was some of the plastic coating on the latch that was interfering with the latching mechanism. So trimming that away and lubricating the latch everything moves freely. there was always a bit missing and it was working find until I guess it started to peel back a bit more and was jamming it a bit.

But now I need to follow a specific method to open the latch. 1) lock it with the fob ensuring i hear the latch move, 2) try to open it, 3) unlock it with the fob, 4) open it.
Funny but for whatever reason If I don't try to open it in between it will not open. Following the above method works 100% of the time.

Also the rear key lock is jammed since I got the car so that's never worked.

So I'm scratching my head. I almost wonder if that when the latch was sticking that the motor got a bit weaker and now it just needs that bit more encouragement.

I guess if I do need to replace it I could get a new rear lock at the same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too. Wouldn't totally catch for a while now. Dash light drained battery on occasion. So I went to clean it out with a toothbrush and lubes. The plastic sheathing was all jammed up so I started snipping it out of way. Then it really wont close. I was able to get it slammed in but I fear opening it. Do I have to go the dealer and get hosed? Jennifer. '03 blue '11 gray 165k

1 - 3 of 3 Posts