Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one side of the LCA mount to the body is rotted out. Is my baby in her death throws or is that cap/mount replaceable? Do I contact car repair shops? Metal fabricators? I'm worried and a little lost in direction as to where I go.
20200408_161635.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
The one side of the LCA mount to the body is rotted out. Is my baby in her death throws or is that cap/mount replaceable? Do I contact car repair shops? Metal fabricators? I'm worried and a little lost in direction as to where I go. View attachment 203522
OUCH! That road salt is unquestionably a car's worst enemy! : - (

I suppose it can be fixed; but, is it worth the trouble? Certainly it won't be cheap or easy.

What is the condition of the metal about 5 - 6 inches surrounding this bad spot in the photo? If it's as scaled or rusty as what we can see here; well, that's bad! Nothing left to weld to.

If you can get a body shop to work with you on this, I suppose one could find a good used mount and surrounding steel, cut it out of a donor car, and then weld it into yours; provided that yours still has some strong steel around the rusty spot. But again, that's going to be a lot of work and requiring a lot of disassembly of your gas tank and rear suspension and so forth.

How does the rest of the under body look? Unfortunately, if you have one spot that looks this bad, there is probably some rust like that in other key places as well. Hopefully not for your sake, but....................

It's time to put the Element up on a lift and have a trusted mechanic give it a good look over underneath. If that's the only real bad spot, and the rest of the car is still in pretty good shape, then it's probably worth fixing.

But if it's seriously rusty like that in several place underneath, perhaps it's time to bid the Element farewell! : - (

Sorry! I hate being the bearer of bad news!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OUCH! That road salt is unquestionably a car's worst enemy! : - (

I suppose it can be fixed; but, is it worth the trouble? Certainly it won't be cheap or easy.

What is the condition of the metal about 5 - 6 inches surrounding this bad spot in the photo? If it's as scaled or rusty as what we can see here; well, that's bad! Nothing left to weld to.

If you can get a body shop to work with you on this, I suppose one could find a good used mount and surrounding steel, cut it out of a donor car, and then weld it into yours; provided that yours still has some strong steel around the rusty spot. But again, that's going to be a lot of work and requiring a lot of disassembly of your gas tank and rear suspension and so forth.

How does the rest of the under body look? Unfortunately, if you have one spot that looks this bad, there is probably some rust like that in other key places as well. Hopefully not for your sake, but....................

It's time to put the Element up on a lift and have a trusted mechanic give it a good look over underneath. If that's the only real bad spot, and the rest of the car is still in pretty good shape, then it's probably worth fixing.

But if it's seriously rusty like that in several place underneath, perhaps it's time to bid the Element farewell! : - (

Sorry! I hate being the bearer of bad news!
Went back underneath and poked around the base of the cap that is welded to the unibody and its solid as well as the area around it. The parts left over also feel solid (im unable to bend it by hand with all my force and try and break it) im wondering if its possible to just mend that area with weld? Just fill the gap up with weld?

As a whole the underneath isnt terrible. The only spot that needs attention other than that is the driveraide floor board closest to the door. Its rotted through, but i can fix that myself with my small mig unit and a small sheet of steel.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
That's good news! If you have your own Mig welder, along with some time and patience, you should be able to perhaps band-aid it together. Make sure the sheet steel you have is as least the same gauge or maybe thicker as the original mount. And when complete, make sure your repaired mounting hole is very close in location (like within a 1/16" or so) from where the original mount hole was. If it's not close, It could make it difficult to re-align your rear wheels properly.

Keep that Element rolling!

Oh, and BTW, Welcome to EOC! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
My E is off at college with two of my children, so I can't quite visualize what part of the body that is mounted to. If you look at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, many of the underbody structural pieces are still available from Honda. Replacing them can be tedious (I did full quarter panels including wheel housings on my 90 Accord), but it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My E is off at college with two of my children, so I can't quite visualize what part of the body that is mounted to. If you look at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, many of the underbody structural pieces are still available from Honda. Replacing them can be tedious (I did full quarter panels including wheel housings on my 90 Accord), but it can be done.
What I'm looking for is what the trailering arm attaches to on the frame. If im looking st the picture properly, it would be in the area i circled, unfortunately I think this means i need the entire rear peice correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard to say by the drawing alone. It could be part 1 i have an arrow at because of its cup shape orrrr it could be part 2 i have arrowed if both cups are attached to the same piece perhaps? Without know what those parts are I couldnt say. Did you have a link to exactly where you go this photo for the parts? I tried searched on my break and came up empty handed trying to get to where you may have been.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The last place I would go is the Honda dealership. If you're not going after this yourself, then you need a hotrod or race car shop. It'll cost ya but they can fix it right. The dealer will try to sell you a new car. A body shop isn't gonna wanna touch it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last place I would go is the Honda dealership. If you're not going after this yourself, then you need a hotrod or race car shop. It'll cost ya but they can fix it right. The dealer will try to sell you a new car. A body shop isn't gonna wanna touch it.
That's a step in the right direction I feel. Not to sound like a sadist but I WANT it to cost me. I want her done right. I want this thing around for as long as I can keep her. And I dont feel my skill adequate enough to fix her sufficiently in that area.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looking at my service manual, I believe the forward end of the lower control arm bolts to the piece at the bottom center of the 23 and 26 grouping (the one that looks like it has several bolt and alignment holes), it doesn't appear to have a separate part number, so you would need the whole 23 or 26. There is actually a recall on CR-Vs (very similar rear suspension setup) in Canada for rust in the rear suspension mounting area.

Besides a hot rod or custom car shop, maybe look for a restoration shop, or a shop that specializes in structural repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys so much for all the replies and help. I deeply appreciate it. I have a direction now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts