Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new element and am going camping this Memorial Day weekend. the rear outlet mod is going to be very useful, but I was thinking about trying something different. Instead of making my own relay out of wire and disconnects, would it be just as good if I simply bought a honda relay switch and removed the two unnecessary prongs and then replaced it? Or if I just removed the prongs from the one I have now?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Welcome.

Removing prongs won't work. There are basically two circuits in the relay and you have to power the one side to close the switch and power the other side. If you removed prongs, no power would flow from the switch circuit to the outlet circuit.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Awhite.

> Instead of making my own relay
You don't need to make a relay, just a jumper wire. Easy as pie. And as Hondaminium noted, removing prongs from the factory relay would do nothing. Or rather, it would prevent the rear socket from working at all.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/rear_power_socket.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glibguy, the mod is incredibly simply/easy. The hardest part was removing relay five to get to the one needing the mod.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone know if the Element's system allows you to keep the batteries topped off using a trickle charger plugged into both the front or back outlets?

Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JO0TC/[/ame]

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Does anyone know if the Element's system allows you to keep the batteries topped off using a trickle charger plugged into both the front or back outlets?

Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JO0TC/
I do this every winter when the temp outside gets too low. I plug a 2amp charger in to one of the sockets I put in the center console - keeps the battery topped off when the electrical load is more than the alternator can keep up with on my short commutes. Um, those amorphous panels are cute gadgets but unless you can stick it outside the vehicle, the window glass cuts down a lot of the power output. Those things rarely put out anything close to what's claimed unless you point it directly at the sun at noon. If you plan to spend that much (amazon greatly overpriced) then get a smaller, more efficient type of panel with crystalline cells. Figure out how much total power you need and remember that the panels only provide that little trickle for a few short hours each day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clarification of Terms

In the skidmore link which provides directions to make the rear outlet constantly hot the terms "pull relay No. 3 and jumper the two fore connector slots" are used. Can anyone spell out what exactly this means?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
And when you pull out the relay to put the jumper in, HANG ON TO IT! Mine flipped out and disappeared somewhere up in the bowels of the dash where it still gnaws at my imagination - Never could find the thing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Is there a photo illustration (or clarification) of the correct relay and correct connection slots for a 2009+ E...

·
Registered
777 Posts
my mac scans 'third party links' and for some reason didn't let me see the linked page.

how nice would it have been to simply have a photo like this one...

it's pretty interesting how many of the How To's overlook the differences of 09+ E's...

hopefully this image with help out others in the future

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
that's quite a big difference.
at first i thought that one of the photos had been flipped, but the text in both still reads correctly.
i wonder why the changes were made, just to save a few cms of copper per vehicle?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts