Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my E w/184k miles was pissing me off lately with a slight drag when turning. Figure I would check the rear brakes. Driver side - good. Passenger side - uneven wear. New pads / rotors (both sides), new passenger caliper, new passenger parking shoes (driver side needs to be done still). Now the scraping is even more pronounced on the right side, especially when making right turns. The parking shoes are fully retracted. No play in the wheel bearing that I can feel.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Could be some corrosion on the rear passenger dust shield. When I got my Element it had been sitting awhile plus I live in the great white north and we use tons of road salt here. It made a scraping sound as the rust was built up but after going through some corners quickly it grinded off the rust by itself and I do not notice any more noise now

·
Registered
2008 LX FWD AT
2,759 Posts
I have a bit of scraping noise almost every morning. I know my dust shields are rusted badly; that's why I'm accumulating parts to redo the entire rear suspension.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you used aftermarket brake rotors they may not be a perfect fit. The inside of the rotor can rub on the backing plate, particularly the small bit that sticks up that is supposed to fit in a groove on the rear of the rotor. They can also rub the corners of the parking brake shoe. Pull the rotor off and look inside for witness marks to see where it is scraping. You may find shiny spots on the rotor, backing plate or parking brake shoes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you used aftermarket brake rotors they may not be a perfect fit. The inside of the rotor can rub on the backing plate, particularly the small bit that sticks up that is supposed to fit in a groove on the rear of the rotor. They can also rub the corners of the parking brake shoe. Pull the rotor off and look inside for witness marks to see where it is scraping. You may find shiny spots on the rotor, backing plate or parking brake shoes.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
The bottom of the dust shield matches up with the grooves on the new rotor. I had to take the whole assembly apart just to see it
Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,973 Posts
The dust shield is heavily rusted to the point where there's nothing left of the ring piece that was just beyond the parking brake shoes. It would normally fit within the groove on the rotor. Scraping could be from water condensing on the rusty shield dripping across the rotor and accelerating the surface rust flashing that happens overnight across the rotor face and inside the "hat". It could be from the parking brake shoes being pushed out of square fit and rubbing the inside of the hat. I'd replace, or clean all the rust off and paint, the disintegrating dust shield before worrying about the fit of the rotor.
Honda 43110-SCV-A01 Plate, Right Rear Brake Backing, ~$42.

Font Auto part Circle Diagram Machine

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, that does shield is in really good shape. Heavy surface rust yes, but it took several whacks of a mini Sledge to push it back enough to clear the rotor

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
25 Posts
Actually, that does shield is in really good shape. Heavy surface rust yes, but it took several whacks of a mini Sledge to push it back enough to clear the rotor
I did full rear brakes recently; pads, rotors, calipers & parking brake parts. Same thing happened. It was the rotors rubbing on the backing plates. Was really bad at first... used the BFH to tap the backing plates back slightly, backed off the parking brake adjustment and left for work. The next day, I took it apart again, sprayed some paint on the witness marks (I like that term!) put it back together, drove a bit, and looked to see where the rubbing persisted. After a few more taps with the BFH and a parking brake adjustment, I got it to an acceptable level. I still hear a bit of rubbing when turning really slow, but it's fine... I'm not taking it apart again! Going into the witness mark protection program. 😎

1 - 10 of 10 Posts