Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently that the passenger side cargo door (suicide door) is making extra noise when closed. It always clanged shut, now it kind of rattles too. I investigated and it looks like the bottom latch is not functioning anymore on the door. The top seems to catch fine, so the door closes, but I can tell the bottom is doing nothing. Any tips on getting this working again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My guess is that is part of the safety features resulting in the crash rating. It might still be under warrenty. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I noticed recently that the passenger side cargo door (suicide door) is making extra noise when closed. It always clanged shut, now it kind of rattles too. I investigated and it looks like the bottom latch is not functioning anymore on the door. The top seems to catch fine, so the door closes, but I can tell the bottom is doing nothing. Any tips on getting this working again?

Thanks.
KidA, the same thing happens to me in reverse. By chance is it really cold out when it happens. Mine is freezing up somewhere inside the door. I had a similar problem with my pickup and a little WD-40 fixed it. I haven't tried on the E yet. I just don't open the cargo door when it is below 20 degrees, which sucks because I use it all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately warranty is not an option. It ran out last May. I don't know it's cold related because the E is in the garage and it's really not that cold in Kentucky. When I open the door and pull the handle I can't see anything on the latch mechanism moving. However, it doesn't seem that the top one moves either and it works fine.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
have you checked the position of the metal loop in the floor? mine has come loose a couple of times,and i just had to tighten the screws down so that it didn't move when the lock mechanism in the door was trying to engage it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
similar problem

I've had a similar problem, but it's the driver side, and the upper latch. I noticed it when going around right turns and my door open indicator would come on.

Didn't find out what was doing it, but it has so far worked itself out by jiggling and trying to open and close a few times. It might be cold related, but now that it closes, I'll wait until Spring to see if I can find out why it was happening.
'tuna

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hmmm... This could be good. Usually it's because the door striker is out of adjustment, sometimes it's the latch. With the door open use a screwdriver and push the latch closed, it should click in two positions and stay latched in both. When you pull the door handle they are spring loaded and should open on their own. You said the top is working so compare the two and see if they act the same, if not, check for debris and lube it up. If they work, check the striker for adjustment. I checked the big book and there isn't a measurement or anything so I checked mine so you have somewhere to start. It can be adjusted forward, backward, in and out. It should be centered in the latch and the latch should go to the second click with the doors flush.

Pierre

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jammed door due to loose striker

Yo guys, I recently purchased an 03 AWD and I love the bean sprouts out of it (very helpfull to the surfer/skater lifestyle).

Recently, while hualin the gang around, the rear passenger suicide door became jammed. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so I pulled the door pannel for further inspection and noticed the striker is sliding all over the place, the bottom one. The top dissengages fine, but I have no earthly clue how I will secure the striker so I can get the door open and tighten that bad boy down.

If you guys have any suggestions, I would be STOKED. thanks and gig em.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Bumpsy !

Just a bump for this guy/gal.... Someone with a service manual should be along any time now with a smart reply !!!

In the meantime, enjoy the music; If you know your party's extension please dial it at any time.

If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Just a bump for this guy/gal.... Someone with a service manual should be along any time now with a smart reply !!!

In the meantime, enjoy the music; If you know your party's extension please dial it at any time.

If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911!
..Strangers in the night......

....do be do be dooooo....

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE FOR HISTORICAL USE.

So I took the wagon to the stealership and asked if this was a common occurance, were I was told they had never seen it. They wanted at least a buck fity to fix it, so I kindly told them to shove it.

I tore down the door panel and could see the hook was loose, which was goofing the geometry between itself and the clasp, not allowing the lower clasp to release from the hook.

After hours of trying to get the hook to line up so the clasp could open, A swift smack to the back of the door by a dude that saw us working on it opened the door up. tighten down the back plate in a fairly rear set position and it was fixed.

*note on tearing down the door panel*

Unplugging the seatbelt sensor is going to make your SRS light come on. We reset this with a jumper wire and some instructions we found on like a geocities page. Took like three tries.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Its reassuring to know that "a good wack" still works on modern cars. Fixed alot of older one's that way.
se

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Unplugging the seatbelt sensor is going to make your SRS light come on. We reset this with a jumper wire and some instructions we found on like a geocities page. Took like three tries.
It won't trip the SRS light if you leave the ignition off (better yet, unhook the battery) the entire time the plug is disconnected.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tbone: Good to see you got it fixed. Your problem reminded me of the fun I had last year fixing the driver's door latch on my daughter's '98 Civic. The door wouldn't open from inside or out. Took about 10 hours to pull everything apart from the inside (next to impossible with the door closed) but less than an hour to install a new latch, striker and button everything up. I should have taken the advise found on one of the Honda boards - buy a used door at a junk yard and cut the door off with a sawzall.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The same thing happened with my lower catch but I caught it before it got jammed. Now the passenger window breaking and getting glass in the lock not letting the front door open, thats a different issue that I just had. Had to chisel the lock apart through the window slot to get the damn door open to replace the glass.:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bum door latch

Hey all. This is my first post here.

My wife and I have an '06 Element EX and the lower latch on the passenger side suicide door isn't working. It seems like that is preventing the main door from latching properly, as our door ajar light is always on.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, do you know if there's an easy DIY fix for it? I'd love to not have to take it to a dealership. I've got a scooter as well, but the Element is our only car.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've read in other threads that the post for the latch can come loose over time and needs to be tightened. I think all it takes is a phillips screwdriver. When you have both doors open, you should see the post in the door well along the floor.

Not sure if this is your problem, but may be a good place to start. It's a pretty easy check that won't take much time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's the post, although I only did a visual check on that. I'll check it again when I get home (rode the scooter to work today) and update.

Anyways, I think it's actually the latch piece inside the door. I've thought about going at it with a screwdriver, but I don't want to make it even worse...

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It's probaly the little latch on the bottom of the floor, as Nuwin sain, they do have a tendancy to come loose.
When you shut the door, you can see the bottom part of the door shake a little right?
Open the door up, find the latch, tighten with phillips head - close door

I have to do mine on the drivers side about once a month

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
take the screws out and put some blue locktite or other thread locker on them and you shouldnt have to do it anymore :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts