Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do the rear passenger doors sound really loud when they are being closed. I've had mine since '06 and it has always bothered me. After a camping trip this weekend with some friends it's really come to a boil and now I feel the need to do something about it. Every time someone closed the door it sounded like they were using as much muscle they could muster. I'm kinda paranoid the pop out windows are going to shatter! I haven't put any thought into the project as of yet. Anyone have any suggestions or catastrophic experiences?
This is probably my biggest pet peeve about the E besides the Tetris like dance you have to do to get front and rear seat passengers out in a tight parking space.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
See post #3 in this thread!

Dom

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine do the same thing it's like I'm slamming it shut when I barley push it lol my friend shut it hard the other day it sounded so bad

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
put some sound deadener on the outer skin of all the doors and you will notice a huge difference. they sell stuff in rolls at homedepot and lowes the the roof/gutter isle that i have used before too and it is the same stuff. called "roof and gutter repair" and it comes in a roll that is like 12" wide by 50 feet or something. foil backed black stickey stuff just like the brand named dynamat stuff, but WAY cheaper. just heat with a heat gun and stick to cleaned panels and you are done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you guys think adding sound deadening materials will decrease the impact of the door on the body?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So you guys think adding sound deadening materials will decrease the impact of the door on the body?
The door has part of the Element's supporting structure built into it. It is heavy and will always sound "loud" or "heavy". The fact that it is pretty much hollow makes it sound even worse than it is.

As many have already mentioned, the only real way to go around it if it bothers you is to use deadening materials to muffle the sound.

·
Registered
39 Posts
glad to see im not the only one to think so! haha i believe sound deadener will help alot. does anyone know if the rear door panels are as hard to take off as the fronts??

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Looks like I'll be looking into some sound deadening material.
I found some silver foil wrapped bubble stuff at Lowe's. It is moisture proof and worked well to deaden sound----and inexpensive. ;-)

Just spray a little 3-M adhesive and stick away. :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
does anyone know if the rear door panels are as hard to take off as the fronts??
I'd say as for difficulty in removing,they require are about the same effort as the front door panels. The weather strip on the side can be a little pain,but it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure you could handle it.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts