Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E has 100,000 miles on it and lately it has started making a noise in the rear passenger wheel area. It seems to happen most frequently after I have driven at highway speeds for an extended time and then make a turn from the off-ramp. I will hear a rubbing (metal to metal) upon making a left hand turn. As soon as the wheel is straightened out the sound will go away. I have tried to go straight all the time but every once in a while I like to stop to smell the flowers. At low speeds - around town driving I never hear this. I have replaced the rear brakes and rotor, and the rear strut. I have taken the wheel off, the rotor off and cannot find any visible signs of wear. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Could be an number of things, as Ramblerdan suggests rear diff fluid would be a good place to start. It could be the wheel bearing, it could be the parking brake, it could be the rear brake pads rubbing if they are not seated right, it could be tires tread separating. I have had the last happen to me, and in a similar cirumstance had just done the rear brakes and thought it was the brakes. It turned out to be the tires.
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I have just bought new tires and it did this with the old tires so I don't think that is it although it is a good thought. I will start with the differential fluid (which has never been changed to my knowledge) but it still seems more like a grinding metal not related to the diff. Another day in the garage and I just may get it. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be the rear wheel bearing. If you turn left and you hear a metal to metal grinding it's your rear right bearing. If you turn right and thats when you hear a grinding sound then its the left wheel bearing. Try and test drive your car and go to safe area where you can turn left or right in about 10 - 15 mph. But then again rear wheel bearings don't easily break.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear Passenger Side Wheel Noise

I've already spent a lot of money and time trying to figure out what this "noise" is all about, all to no avail. I've just had to learn to live with it thus far. Sometimes I notice it more than others, but perhaps I am just getting used to it after 5 years? I personally think it was a defect on the 2003 model (which is what I have), as I've tried everything on that back wheel (including changing the rear differential fluid!)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have just bought new tires and it did this with the old tires so I don't think that is it although it is a good thought. I will start with the differential fluid (which has never been changed to my knowledge) but it still seems more like a grinding metal not related to the diff. Another day in the garage and I just may get it. I will keep you all posted.
I'm interested you haven't noticed a need to change the diff fluid before now. Have you been getting the "wheel chatter while turning" for some time now, or was it even doing it now?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Parking brake shoe

The sound you hear hay be a worn parking brake shoe. Try putting the parking brake on a click or two while driving slow and or turning and see if this is the noise. If it is, they are an easy replace. Part # 782.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with travel bug. I also have a 2003 and I've gotten use to it. But there is good advise on this forum. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm going to say it is the backing plate rubbing against the rotor. With the dust lip design of the rear rotor and how it mates with the respective backing plate lips, it does not have a lot of tolerance for buildup in those areas. The wheelbearing will flex a slight bit under side-load and allow a very minimal movement of the rotor towards or away from the backing plate and if you have rust buildup anywhere, even slightly, it will make noise.

When you remove the rotor, see if there are any signs or contact on the backing plate. Also, this would be a good time to wash your parking brake mechanism with brake cleaner and when it it dry, lubricate all points where the parking brake shoes contact the backing plate.

My '04 does this now and then as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gen X Dad- This was my thought exactly. I cleaned the backing plate real good along with the emergency brake shoes real well and I cannot get it to make this sound again. I really do think that was the problem as it almost sounded like it was coming from the brake area and not a wheel bearing or rear differential fluid. So far so good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts