Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Long-time Element owner here, but new to the forum.

Rear propeller shaft failed last week. '08 Element LX. U-joint broke and rear of shaft was clanging around under there. Fortunately, I was close to home. Towing bill wasn't too bad... Removed shaft and have been driving in 2WD. No problems with that.

As many of you know, u-joints are not serviceable, OEM replacement shaft assemblies run $600 - $700. R&R of assembly takes 1/2 hour tops. Lots of aftermarket options available. This one not the cheapest, but looks good:
12 month warranty, u-joints replaceable and can be greased.

Anyone have any experience with this part or company?

Muchas Gracias!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello everyone,

Long-time Element owner here, but new to the forum.

Rear propeller shaft failed last week. '08 Element LX. U-joint broke and rear of shaft was clanging around under there. Fortunately, I was close to home. Towing bill wasn't too bad... Removed shaft and have been driving in 2WD. No problems with that.

As many of you know, u-joints are not serviceable, OEM replacement shaft assemblies run $600 - $700. R&R of assembly takes 1/2 hour tops. Lots of aftermarket options available. This one not the cheapest, but looks good:
12 month warranty, u-joints replaceable and can be greased.

Anyone have any experience with this part or company?

Muchas Gracias!
No experience with this one, but it looks like it might be a decent alternative. I replaced my '05 EX driveshaft at 219k back in 12/17, with one from NAPA, that cost just over $ 300, and have put 30k on it since.

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience with this one, but it looks like it might be a decent alternative. I replaced my '05 EX driveshaft at 219k back in 12/17, with one from NAPA, that cost just over $ 300, and have put 30k on it since.
I like NAPA. Bought front calipers, pads & rotors there recently. Good quality stuff! The only shaft they have available right now is $655. Even with 15% off, that's $556. If the NAPA part was still $300 I would snap it up, but with a $200+ difference, will give it some thought... 🙂

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about a used one. You might get lucky and get one that had been replaced. I don't see too many Elements under 200K around here, so I went with new. After a bit more research, I ordered the one above from Wholesale Import Parts. Will post pics and such when it comes in.

Thanks so much guys, for your responses!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts