Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rear Rotors Stuck

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ramblerdan 
#1 ·
Hey,
I am trying to remove my rear brake rotors on my 2003 Honda Element MT AWD (94,000 miles). This is my first time doing this, but on Sunday I replaced the front rotors and pads with help from a friend.

At first I couldn't get the rear rotors to budge at all, and after lightly hammering and prying, eventually figured out to turn off the E-brake. Now, I can get the rotor about halfway off (half way off the 5 bolts that is). Am I doing something else wrong still? Could I have damaged the E-brake?

Thank you for any help!

#2 ·
Just beat it.

The rotor is hanging up on the rust ridge on the inside of the parking brake drum. Assuming the parking brake is completely off and mounting screws have been removed; now just hit the back of the rotor on one side then rotate it (pry bar between the studs may be needed to rotate) 180 degrees, then hit it again. continue working this from side to side and it will come off.

Attachments

#3 ·
Look at the rotor, there's some extra holes eh? Those are for bolts to walk the rotors off the studs. I don't remember the measurement off the top of my head (too many complimentary drinks at the hotel tonight) but you simply screw the bolt into the hole and it pulls the rotor right off. Do some searching on here and it should come up.

#5 ·
Your location is not listed. But in the Northeast those threaded extraction bolt holes are usually so rusted you can't use them Note rust on 2007 rotor above). And because they dead end; you can't chase them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, it must have been the rust ring issue. Just needed some extra "convincing" to get it off.

4 brand new rotors, 8 brand new pads. Nothing crazy, but so far my most involved (and saving me the most money) car repair.

#7 · (Edited)
For those of you that don't know, you can loosen your e-brake more by popping off the cover over your e-brake handle. Yeah, the cup holder. With the parking brake in the up position, simply grab the edges of the cup holder/console and pull straight up. It will pop right off.

You should see an adjuster nut between the two e-brake cables where they connect to the brake handel mechanism. Loosening this nut several turns should allow the brake shoes to back up a little extra & clear the rust ridge. Be sure to count the number of turns you make on the nut, so you can put it back how you had it when your done. Otherwise your parking brake will be VERY weak (if it works at all)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.