Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be posting, hopefully, a good step-by-step guide to installing a bunch of car audio equipment. My style- in that, there will be video highlighting my failures and whatnot. I promise it will be entertaining and informative, and also make it known how bad I am at life.

Anyhow, I plan to mount an amp under the rear seat, but mounted using hangars up to the bottom of the underside of the seat, so that there is air both above and below the amp, and the amp is hanging right-side up (while still leaving the possibility of folding the seat up against the side of the car for hauling duties).

My question right now is- I've seen that people have mounted amps to the underside of the rear seats on early Elements, but I am not sure when I look at it where the points to screw into it would be. Can someone shed light on this for me ahead of time? At the moment I am waiting a couple of days for the equipment to arrive in the mail.

I am excited. I haven't done a car stereo install since 2003. This is going to be awesome and terrible. Lol. I'm old.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello, here is my version. I built the little amplifier on the side because I need all the space in the trunk ... sometimes

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure you know that you need to make special accomodations or lose the flexibility of removing or flipping up the rear seat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah- there are posts on this forum with amps mounted to the underside of the seats. The seat can still fold up to the side as long as you manage the cords appropriately. That's my plan, except I would like to keep the amp right side up by using something to hang it down an coupler inches.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very cool idea. I looked through the pics- how did you mount the wood to the side like that?
Thank you.
I replaced the existing screws (at this point on the sidepanel) with longer screws .
The seats are as flexible as before (foldable and removable).That was important to me.
But it's just a small stereo amp for the subwoofer only....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea where I could screw into the underside of the rear seats, or for that matter if good directions exist somewhere for removing the upholstery under the seat?

I was actually really getting into the idea of doing a side mount like the one Godolkin did, but my amp is somewhat longer than his, and also doesn't come with the nifty built-in cord covers. (amp is a JL RD 900/5). The equipment all came in the mail today, and now that I have the amp I can hold it up and really see how it would fit in various places.

It seems I have three options:
1. mounted to the underside of rear seat (which I need to figure out how to bolt into)

2. mounted to the floor under the rear seat (simple enough, but would now be on the floor somewhat limiting the usefulness of the flat loading surface of the car, plus I don't know yet where I would screw into),

3. or something like our man Godolkin did, but with me doing some head scratching, soul-searching, and customizing). I am capable of woodworking, and I like how he has the extra wood to stabilize around the screws.

First world problems here, yes... tell me what to do. My wife always does and that works out well enough usually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have links to someone mounting an amp successfully to the back seat?

I can't wrap my head around it, that sounds like a cable management nightmare, with a 4 gauge or bigger 12v line that's hot. Even if you could do it, I wouldn't want 4 feet of cable to get whatever you stuff in the back with the seats up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have links to someone mounting an amp successfully to the back seat?

I can't wrap my head around it, that sounds like a cable management nightmare, with a 4 gauge or bigger 12v line that's hot. Even if you could do it, I wouldn't want 4 feet of cable to get whatever you stuff in the back with the seats up.

These look nearly perfect to me- i just want to hang them away from the seat so they can sit right side up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK- so if I want to mount under the rear seat, it would seem to me I need a plate of some kind to bolt up to there first, and then hang the amp from that. Is this how people have done it? All of my searches on this lead to this supposedly amazing install thread by a guy called outpost, which unfortunately is old enough that images are no longer a part of it. Sucks, because from the text I can tell he has done something under those seats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damnit- the more I look at it, the more I want to mount it to the rear cargo side. I could do it the long way, but with the length of the amp I already bought, the slight curve of that panel comes into play. I'm thinking that I just drill straight through the plastic and into the sheetmetal, and deal with the curve by using some nylon or rubber spacers around the screws as needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just for comparison.
These are the Dimensions of the
Rockwood :~ 280 x 55 x 330 mm
and the
JL RD 900/5 : 177 x 54 x 372 mm

I would bend the cables from the amplifier directly behind the plate, lead them down and then lay the cables behind the panel of the seat hinge.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another idea was to build the amplifier in the trunk floor (wood with cutout). But I didn't want to do without the spare wheel and it doesn't fit with the spare wheel. The rockwood is too thick and wide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooooohhhh..... I REALLY like how you tapered the wood there to fit along the ridge- that wasn't visible in the previous pics. Oh man, that's the ticket right there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts