Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I took out the rear seats about 8 years ago for my dog crate and just stored them in the garage covered with a black trash bag and a beach towel.
I just put the seats back in and since I am parked in the driveway, the car gets hot and even though the windows are open a crack they have a kinda musty smell. I tried Dawn soap on the seats and wiped them down but it did not help. Right now I have a plate of Baking soda under the seats, but that does not seem to be working either.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Otherwise I will take them out again.
Thanks,
JJ

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,717 Posts
You might try OdorXit (simply spray it on). I've had good luck cleaning seats using Oxi-Clean. Use one clean rag (I collect old towels) fairly wet with a solution of if; other clean towels to scrub/dry.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,717 Posts
Thanks........Is OxiClean safe for dogs?
Don't know - never fed it to one. I would think it is as safe as any cleaner. Just don't saturate the fabric and padding and it should be OK. Do it early on a clear warm day; then leave the vehicle out in the sun with the windows open to let it thoroughly dry.

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
72 Posts
Body shops and/or car dealerships use ozone generators to remove the cigarette smoke smell from cars they take in on trade to transform a smoker's car into something that is salable to non-smokers. They basically place the ozone machine in the car with all the windows closed, and run the machine overnight, or as long as necessary to remove the odors. If your home efforts don't work, taking it to a shop that has one of these machines would be an option. Google "ozone machine" to see what these machines do.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Cant hurt to try Febreze either and let them sit outside in the hot sun if that's an option

·
Registered
Honda Element 2007 EX MT
389 Posts
Hi I took out the rear seats about 8 years ago for my dog crate and just stored them in the garage covered with a black trash bag and a beach towel.
I just put the seats back in and since I am parked in the driveway, the car gets hot and even though the windows are open a crack they have a kinda musty smell. I tried Dawn soap on the seats and wiped them down but it did not help. Right now I have a plate of Baking soda under the seats, but that does not seem to be working either.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Otherwise I will take them out again.
Thanks,
JJ
I would take them out and leave them outside for several days if that's possible. That will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts