Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a shelf out of a piece of 3/4 ply painted flat black. It covers the rear cargo area giving me a privacy area under the shelf but it will not crumple in an accident so rear passengers are not as protected by the design of the vehicle in the event of a rear end collision. Made a template out of cardboard for the side profile and jig sawed it out. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
very nice. i may still do this in mine. not a big fan of the store bought ones since it doesnt conform to the sides like the one you cut. that is how i want to do mine too. nice job

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
very nice, indeed!!
i too have been wanting to do this since i have some scrap plywood.
i plan on stapling carpet to the plywood.
thank you for the extra push mr.poindexter :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its all good , I thought of padding the shelf / carpet as it would stop stuff from moving side to side through the chicane , ;-) , but i needed it more for privacy in the cargo area, no matter how you mod it , if it does what you need it to do , it passes the engineering test and moves to the touchy feely side of the evaluation. I am still seeking approval for the ' screw aerodynamics ' sticker for the back of the E , it fits my sense of humour , but runs in contrast to the one who should be obeyed..... compromise

·
Registered
468 Posts
No Blueprints Needed

This is easy to accomplish with no blueprints needed.

Go to Target
Purchase the 20" wide table with folding legs.

You now have your shelf and it doubles as a table for Tail-Gate Parties!

I have heard but have not confirmed that WalMart has similar tables.

Enjoy!
Bob:)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Looks nice, but put some carpet on it for a completly finished look

·
Registered
71 Posts
do the seats fold back with that still in?

·
Registered
21 Posts
safety mod to poindexter's design

Saw your design - nice. Read your concern about a re-ender with the plywood not folding and so acting as a blade through the back seats.

Suggestions, do not use plywood - which is specifically designed not to bend, fold or mutilate (cross grain layers). Use a single thin plank and then use a router to cut 1/4' grooves from side to side, do it in five parallel lines. Don't have the physics anymore to prove it, but my guess is that one of those grooves will fold and snap in an accident. Or take the next step and cut the plank into sections and reattach these using piano hinges. If you use a board make sure the grain goes side to side. You could also do this in light plastic, hinging would be a must with this. BTW - hinging gives access below too - so maybe win-win?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whaaaa! your interior looks different than my Ex-P!

the left side of my trunk has a little cargo tray which is identical to the right side. Or...do my eyes deceive me somehow?! I'd love to see someone fabricate something that fits where the hatch cover goes.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Saw your design - nice. Read your concern about a re-ender with the plywood not folding and so acting as a blade through the back seats.

Suggestions, do not use plywood - which is specifically designed not to bend, fold or mutilate (cross grain layers). Use a single thin plank and then use a router to cut 1/4' grooves from side to side, do it in five parallel lines. Don't have the physics anymore to prove it, but my guess is that one of those grooves will fold and snap in an accident. Or take the next step and cut the plank into sections and reattach these using piano hinges. If you use a board make sure the grain goes side to side. You could also do this in light plastic, hinging would be a must with this. BTW - hinging gives access below too - so maybe win-win?
Would particle board work to allow crumpling in an accident?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made a shelf out of a piece of 3/4 ply painted flat black. It covers the rear cargo area giving me a privacy area under the shelf but it will not crumple in an accident so rear passengers are not as protected by the design of the vehicle in the event of a rear end collision. Made a template out of cardboard for the side profile and jig sawed it out. :)
Have you thought about putting a door hinges so it folds long ways. If you fold it laterally, it might be narrow enough to slide under one of the rear seats. Just my two cents since ill be doing the same thing for my golf clubs and push cart. I need to have it where it's raised high enough that my push cart fits under the shelf and golf clubs right on top.

Thanks for the pics too btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts