Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 E, 110,000 miles (mostly highway) that I purchased at 60k miles. I have replace tires, struts, recent new brakes, timing belt, and of course meticulous about oil changes. I have looked on this site and owner's manual to do timed maintenance.

In the past month I have noticed a rear squeak that speeds up, slows down with speed. It seems to occur going up hill first thing in the morning, and doesn't happen downhill in late afternoon. (maybe a temperature thing?)
The squeak isn't effected by turning, so I don't think it's a cv joint?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
487 Posts
You're saying rear and CV joint, so I'm assuming 4WD? Turning won't affect the operation of a rear axle as much as a front because you're not changing the angles of the CV joints much (wheels are rotating, but not turning). Is it a high pitched squeak like unlubricated parts, or does it sound like parts scraping on each other? You say it doesn't happen going downhill in the afternoon - does it do it going downhill in the morning?

You might try putting it up on jack stands, start it, put it in gear, then carefully listen and potentially get underneath it to try to identify the source of the squeak. A long tube (like from Christmas wrap) can be used like a stethoscope to help pinpoint the noise without having to get way underneath it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It is a 4WD, and it is a high pitched sound. I only go uphill in the am, then downhill in the afternoon - work.

·
Registered
487 Posts
So take a different route to work. ;) Assuming your comment means that you took a drive on Saturday and did something different, what was different? Went downhill first? Drastically different temperature? Was it raining? Different load in the vehicle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good questions: Flat first, then slight incline. Afternoon - so warmer. No rain. Same load in the vehicle.
I'm unable to take a "flatter" route to work - every route has a pretty good incline. I'll take different streets tho...who knows....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was kidding about changing the route to work. How steep is the incline on the normal route to work? How early in the trip? Since it you say it follows vehicle speed (in the rear), possible culprits are drive shaft, axle, wheel bearings, & brakes. Maybe have someone ride in the back to tell which side it's on. Getting it up in the air is still probably the best be for locating it; except the suspension won't be loaded unless you put the jack stands under the control arms, but I don't know if that is recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The normal route to work is a 500 ft. + elevation. The roads are windy and steep.
Ha ha! I of course took this suggestion seriously - thinking about the turning alternatives. Cute.
Yes- I need to address this, sooner instead of later. And, it's not constant now, or loud.
Thanks for the thoughts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts