Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bolt that connects the rear strut to the sway arm is the biggest pain ever. Just to let others know, because it was a surprise to me, that this bolt will probably not come out. Planning on cutting the bolt and replacing the bushing. 38 bucks from honda for both sides. Broke the welds on the other side where it bolts into. Just venting my frustration. Have a sweet muscle car look though with just the front drop. Lol. Anyway beware!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just put the Ksports on and came to the same problem. Instead, I loosened the rear bushing bolts to drop the sway bar, it was so much easier.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I ran into the same issue when first lowering my E with the Eibachs and it was a little better when installing the Teins. I used PB Blaster for a few days before I did the Tein install, not sure if it made much of a difference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since the e shares the same suspension(style not actual rates) as the 7thgen civic's I knew how hard the rears are. It is easiest to jack the lower arm just slightly enough to relieve the pressure on the bolt if done properly it can go in with fingers. Some times we use long fat bolt and put it on the jack and the lower eye of the strut if it is an oem assembly and then jack it up that way, which requires two people.

·
Registered
873 Posts
mine came right out.are you turning them the right way?:shock: just kiden.put some anti seze on them when you put them back in. I had heard of this before but I had no problem. and yos do jack up the rear to releave the pressure (not off the ground just right to the end of the strut travel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That sucker tends to get a little rusty on all hondas, I have broken two off in the past. One the top sheared off, and the other the welds on the nut broke. The tecnique I have used since then is spray the nut area with PB blaster, spray the strut bushing with PB blaster, jack the arm up to where it would be if the tire was on and it was sitting on the ground, and then I use the impact gun to spin it out. Hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I hear that BG has a better product than the good old PB blaster, but I havent verified it for my self. but my buddy with the muffler shop stoped useing pb last year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. Where do you find pb blaster? I was just going to use some ATF and cover everything down there to try and loosen it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran into this problem too. I used a regular 1/2 socket ranch and jack stand lever.

Insert the lever (that big metal pole) over the socket ranch handle and now you have the longest ranch in the world.

Soft turn, and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
480 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts