Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got a bad rear strut, and I'm hoping to get some confirmation.

First...

its a 2004 EX FWD with 44,500 miles.

I was hearing a "thump" in the right rear when making sharp turns (like of of a driveway) and searched on here for an answer. It seemed that I was a victim of bad rear sway bar bushings.

When I went under the car to look, I noticed the bushings seemed fine, but I also noticed what looks like an oil on the coil spring/rear arms/even drips on the ground.

Is this the sign of a bad rear strut?

any idea on cost to replace? I assume I should do both rears... is it worth it to do the fronts too?

See the link for all of the pictures.
Click Here for Entire Album

But here's a couple:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yup, bad struts. It's recommended to replace them in pairs. Common sense says the fronts have the same mileage as the rears so it's your call whether to do the fronts as preventative maintenance or wait 'til the tire wear and ride get crappy.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Heck that looked like mine. Not hard to change.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I suppose I should just do all four. Unfortunately, I'm heading on a 1000 mile road trip for the 4th weekend. So I'll just do it after the trip.

What are the recommendations on the best replacements? I see Amazon has a set of 4 KYBs for $258 or so.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I haven't researched brands because my E is still new enough I don't have to worry about it for a while. Check out the "Tires, Wheels and Suspension" section of the forum. I'm sure there's plenty of good reading in there on brand comparison.

I'm not familiar with the E's struts, but on some vehicles you can buy cartridges or assemblies. The cartridges are cheaper, but more labor intensive to install.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI,

I took my car to the honda dealer for just an oil change. They did a complementary 27-point inspection and no one noticed the oil all over the coil, hahaha.

Anyway, I got a quote from Tire Kingdom for $751 and that's with a $300 discount due to their buy 2 get 2 promotion :shock:

I've got a buddy who will install them for $350 if I buy the parts (KYBs are $260 for all 4)

Just thought I'd give out my experience in case some one else comes across this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts