Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my Element yet but I have looked at them enough to feel I have one sitting in the driveway.

I see what you mean about the tire cover. This concerns me a bit as I have dog crates that may have to go over that area on a long trip I am planning.

I wonder if there might be a way to put something under the cover ( and around the spare ) to keep the tire cover from getting so much wear and tear to the point that in caves in ?

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think I may try to see if I can cut some sponge foam to fit. (Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?)

Iskie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, keep the ideas coming, I was wondering about that too! Has anyone tried using the table legs with the cover? I wonder if it could be reinforced for that. :?:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only time you will hear a crack is if you place all your weight in one spot, outside the radius of the spare tire. It is supported in the center by the wheel mounting stud and by the tire itself. If you look at the underside of the cover, you will see it is massively egg-crated and you would have to break/crack a whole lot of them before you would even notice it. Yes, I had my knee in an unsupported area and heard the crack! but when I looked, it took several minutes to even find the one small crack in one small area and it has made NO difference in the overall strength. I also have the table leg option and it works just fine. You can place boxes, crates or anything else that does not concentrate the weight in one small spot and have NO trouble. This gets way too much attention for the very minor problem it really is. My .02. :wink:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I appreciate what you are saying, but that cover screams cheap- throw in - afterthought. It is not commensurate with the overall quality of the vehicle.

My theory is that you don't see more Elements in the showroom totally opened up, because they don't want prospective buyers crawling in there hearing that thing crack, and then having the buyer come away thinking that cover is representative of the overall quality of the vehicle.

When we took the test drive of a E at the Dealer, the Dealer didn't want me getting in from the back (with the seats swung up), he said they took it apart and hadn't put it back together back there :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
half the outside and most of the inside is plastic. That is one of the ways they kept the cost down and that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the vehicle. I don't believe it was "thrown in, an afterthought" at all, but designed for what use :wink: was intended. Hey, get one made from diamond plate aluminum at any welding or sheet metal shop if it bugs you so much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was looking for somewhere to put the rope and tarp I need to carry around, just in case I have to haul something on the roof rack. Turns out, I can fit 50 feet of rope in the well of the spare tire and an 8x10 ft tarp folded up on top of that. The spare cover sticks up just a little (tucking the corners of the tarp around the spare helps a lot), but the cover is now SOLID. I can jounce it pretty hard, no creaks or cracks. (I'll take some pics tomorrow if it's not raining when I get home!)

·
Registered
894 Posts
There must be a tremendous amount of space under the cover to fit all of that. Me being Sans "E", I wonder if you might take some pictures of the before and after of the stuffing od the compartment.

Iskie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Over the weekend I had both my nephews crawling all over the inside of the E- and they bounced around over the spare tire. After that I checked and didn't find any cracks- there are alot of the support "eggcrate" walls underneath- and it seems to be made of fairly rigid plastic (maybe ABS)which would crack pretty easily but is still strong.

may look at getting a diamondplate metal covering also to go underneath.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks, utahrex, I think I will order those legs now. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts