Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

I ordered a new in-dash unit and also a rear view camera. I am just planning thing out right now. so I am wondering what is the best place to put the camera. and is it a good idea to mount it inside the car. because one of my friend got his one pull off.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Here's the way the neighbor kid did it on his super high polished, jacked up in the rear, no exhaust system little Subaru. You go get one of those spade pointed diamond tip glass drills, chuck it in your hand drilll, and make a hole in the rear glass big enough to fit the camera lens through. After the tempered glass shatters in a million pieces all over your head, come up with the money for replacement glass somewhere without making anybody ask where it came from (that didn't go as well as they thought) and then when you get your car back from same parents, drill a hole in the rear next to the tail light. Invite have a dozen teens over to help figure out what that chunk of metal is that's still in the way, then grind it all out, glue it all in, and THEN find out that the picture is so bad on the (wireless) monitor that it doesn't work anyway.

The kid doesn't NEED to see behind him because he never does anything in reverse, always plowing on ahead at full speed. I wish I was young again...

-----------------------------------------------------------

There's a thread in here about removing the rear wiper and using that hole. You didn't say anything about what your camera needs for mounting? Is it a box on a bracket? A "screw in the hole" type? Check the "similar threads" suggested under these messages. I see one that looks exactly like what you're describing.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
I have Nav/DVD system in my SOP that I also had a rear view camera hooked up to it. The lens was put into the key hole of the rear hatch. Very (un)noticeable and works great. Since I never use my keys to get into the car there's no need to have the lock on the rear hatch. Check out some of my pics and you may be able to see it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
x2

get a "flush mount" camera and put it in the removed rear wiper spot or the keyhole. have a friend that did the key hole in his xB and another guy that did the rearwiper in his element. both are unnoticable.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
most flush mount cams come with angle mounting fillers/plates so they can be angled where you want it to be. also most have a pretty wide and tall viewing lens on them. those are both things to check for when looking at one so you get one that will cover a good area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts