Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has heard this before and can provide some insight!

Have a '08 LX w/ auto. 43k miles. Wife's car. She said about 1k miles ago, she heard a "grinding noise" from the back when applying the brakes. Little noise when not using the brakes. The dealer took a look, replaced the pads and turned the rotors. They also note on writeup that "customer states the right rear brake is dragging", "replaced pads and turned rotors", which makes me wonder if they did any investigation of their own at all?

Anyway, got the car back. I'm hearing a noise from the right rear tire-mostly at low speeds-but that may just be because I can't hear it over the wind/tire/engine noise, etc, at higher speeds. If I apply the brakes, I still hear the noise, which makes me think it is something like the bearing. But it is not a severe noise at all, just a swish swish or swoosh swoosh that is only audible when you have the windows open, and you either have to be driving past parked cars or hanging your head out the window to hear it.

Does this sound like a bearing? I have an extended warranty until 120k, if it is the bearing, will that cover that sort of thing? Can a bad bearing cause a brake to drag eventually-i.e., I'm wondering if I can get back the $250 I paid for the brakes because of a bad bearing causing premature brake wear? We have a lot of miles on this car, but my wife has about a 60 mile drive one way-all highway, to get to work during the week.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does this sound like a bearing? I have an extended warranty until 120k, if it is the bearing, will that cover that sort of thing? Can a bad bearing cause a brake to drag eventually-i.e., I'm wondering if I can get back the $250 I paid for the brakes because of a bad bearing causing premature brake wear? We have a lot of miles on this car, but my wife has about a 60 mile drive one way-all highway, to get to work during the week.

Thanks all!
does it sound like a bearing? no not really. Sounds like freshly cut brakes to me.
Will an extended warranty cover this, unknown you have to ask them, each policy and company is different. My experience with extended warranties is that they are basically useless save drive train warranties from the manufacturer. bearings typically are not covered as they are considered a wear item.
Can a bad bearing cause brakes to wear? its possible but not likely with the mileage. A bearing that would have gone out that bad to wear the brakes would make a phenomal noise and cause all kinds of drag.
A good dealer or service mechanic would notice increased wear on one side or the other and point out a problem. Given the mileage, age, and current wear trends of the brakes I would call that normal. I would take it back to the dealer and make sure that something is not just a little out whack with the brakes, it could be the something like the parking brake or pads just slightly touching now and again. As long as that wheel is not considerably hotter after a drive then the other side and the front wheels I would not worry to much.
At 250 for a brake job you got a pretty good deal if they cut the rotors. Will you get your $250 back, no, it needed to be done either way and nearly every warranty does not cover brakes unless a non related failure takes them out.
At 43k your E is just about broken in and nowhere near high miles yet.
If you search the forum you will see that there are numerous complaints about rear brakes on E's I would chalk it up to being normal and expect it to happen again. The range at which the rears go seems to very greatly to the point that I would considered it soley on the habits of the driver and conditions the vehicle is driven, most E if you get 60k out of a set of pads its considered good.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks in2steam!

Come to think about it, I think my larger concern was, should we be driving it...which I think now after reading your response, it is fine to do.

If this is just a common problem with these cars, I have no problem with that. If I need to replace the rear brakes once a year, that's really not that big of a deal I guess.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
ear brakes

I had the same problem with my 07 EX . What happend was the slideing pins needed greasing and pads and rotors replaced or turned Had the dealer do this . the prob was still thair, I took my rear brakes apart this time I did it myself, puled my rear pass side rotor off ond rust on the E brake system had built up and was causing the noise, I used a compresor and air blower and sume brake cleaner , noise gone. So lube your sliders and check for rust on the inside of the rotor.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is it with the Element rear brakes? I have been following this thread for quite awhile. If one looks at the CRV forum they rarely mention rear brake problems. Are the rear brakes on the CRV that much different than the Element? Or the Civic for that matter?

MrBill5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts