Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone has heard this before and can provide some insight!

Have a '08 LX w/ auto. 43k miles. Wife's car. She said about 1k miles ago, she heard a "grinding noise" from the back when applying the brakes. Little noise when not using the brakes. The dealer took a look, replaced the pads and turned the rotors. They also note on writeup that "customer states the right rear brake is dragging", "replaced pads and turned rotors", which makes me wonder if they did any investigation of their own at all?

Anyway, got the car back. I'm hearing a noise from the right rear tire-mostly at low speeds-but that may just be because I can't hear it over the wind/tire/engine noise, etc, at higher speeds. If I apply the brakes, I still hear the noise, which makes me think it is something like the bearing. But it is not a severe noise at all, just a swish swish or swoosh swoosh that is only audible when you have the windows open, and you either have to be driving past parked cars or hanging your head out the window to hear it.

Does this sound like a bearing? I have an extended warranty until 120k, if it is the bearing, will that cover that sort of thing? Can a bad bearing cause a brake to drag eventually-i.e., I'm wondering if I can get back the $250 I paid for the brakes because of a bad bearing causing premature brake wear? We have a lot of miles on this car, but my wife has about a 60 mile drive one way-all highway, to get to work during the week.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks in2steam!

Come to think about it, I think my larger concern was, should we be driving it...which I think now after reading your response, it is fine to do.

If this is just a common problem with these cars, I have no problem with that. If I need to replace the rear brakes once a year, that's really not that big of a deal I guess.

Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.