Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my rear window has a slight arc-shaped scratch in the glass where the previous owner must have had too many "dry runs" with the rear wiper. I was going to lift up the rear wiper blade arm to check it's wear. When I lifted it up an inch or so I heard a "snap" like something broke and let it back down. Fortunately nothing cracked or broke. Aren't the rear wiper arms supposed to lift up out of the way like the fronts to change the wiper blades? If so, I'm wondering what the "snap" noise was and if I should carefully try lifting it up again? Also, do they make glass scratch polish for reducing the appearance of the scratches? The tint is on the inside so I should be OK polishing this correct? Thanks.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
You can get a scratch-removal kit from JC Whitney or possibly a local auto parts store. It's basically jeweler's rouge that you use with a rotary polisher to buff out the area around the scratch. Follow the instructions carefully (s-l-o-w setting on buffer, keep it wet, not too mucn pressure, etc.), and be prepared to spend some time. The scratches, if not too deep, should come out, but you might end up with low areas that show up when use the wiper.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ramblerdan. I may just let the scratches go for now as they are in the "I know they're there but no one else notices" status. Any thoughts on the wiper arm? It seems like it should fold out like the fronts but I didn't like the snap noise when I lifted it. I'd hate to break it...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Probably just heard the rusty spring pop. Wouldn't worry about it too much bro. These are designed to fold out but in certain climates the spring metal will deteriorate faster leading to noise. Similar to garage springs that have not been moved in a while.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll hit it with some WD/40 or something if it keeps poppin'

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked it again. No rust or dirt. It was the arm separating the plastic on the housing where it pivots as I lifted up on it - then it snaps back into place making the noise. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. Now it's time to clean some icky glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts