Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently joined the E club and my first project is going to be installing a stereo and backup cam into my 2004 Fiji Blue EX.

I have decided on the Sony XAV-AX1000 from Crutchfield, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for backup cams? I am kind of interested in the night vision if it doesn't add too much cost.

I'm also wondering about any other mods I should think about while I have the panels off? (Noise dampening, insulation, etc.) I will primarily be using the E as a camper.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,315 Posts
Welcome! Unless you have a detailed service history for your E, your first project should be making sure all maintenance is up to date; things like fluids, valve adjustment, serpentine belt, make sure brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. are in good working order (ideally, this was done prior to purchase). Can't help you on the camera, I still rely on being able to turn my neck.

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Unless you have a detailed service history for your E, your first project should be making sure all maintenance is up to date; things like fluids, valve adjustment, serpentine belt, make sure brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. are in good working order (ideally, this was done prior to purchase). Can't help you on the camera, I still rely on being able to turn my neck.
That is such a good point. It is going to the mechanic next week to have some rear suspension work done - regarding the rest of those maintenance items, would they be things that will have been checked during my pre-purchase inspection, or should I be asking for them to be looked at?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,315 Posts
Did you get some kind of report from your pre-purchase inspection? How many miles? Things like fluids they may have just checked that the levels were correct; they wouldn't necessarily know when they were last changed. Assuming an automatic transmission, the fluid should be a bright red (if it is more of a golden color - it has been in there way too long). New power steering fluid is quite light in color; if yours is very dark, it is time to have it changed. Similar for brake fluid, new fluid in the reservoir would look quite light and translucent; old fluid will be very dark. If you don't know when things were done, it would makes sense to go ahead and do it to establish a baseline for yourself.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi I was looking into getting a back up camera for my E last year as well. I contacted a local highly reputable stereo shop. Their recommendation to me was the Ibeam TE-50VS and Ibeam TE-SSIR

I havent gotten this installed yet as I agree with the other posters, I had to get all the mechanical and maintenance work done and in order before doing the back up camera

1 - 5 of 5 Posts